Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9300 24T + 8x10Gbit

Jaro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, 

I need to suggest new switches which will be used only as access for customers and also for management and backups.

Because customers need 10gbit/s I used 8x10gbit module, and for management there are 24 ports, of course I suggested 2 SWs per room in stack to have redundancy. Switches are in different rooms in one building

It is possible to make something like VSS or it is not possible for cisco 9300 series ?

is this switch enough for this purpose ?

can I use 8x10Gbit/s uplinks as standard ports ?

In one room I need 16 x 10 Gbit ports for customers + interconnection and 30 x 1 Gbit ports.

do cisco have something different, which can be used for this purposes ?

Thank you

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Jaro wrote:

is this switch enough for this purpose ?

Without knowing what the use case is ... NO.

Let me just say, "don't play around".  If you don't know what you're doing, get someone who does. 

9300 is a very expensive switch to make a simple mistake.  

Hi Leo,

I received from you lot of usefull answers, but this one is completely unusefull.

If my questions are not clear and you want to help me with, please ask me, I will try to give you so much information I will have, if not please just skip this discussion.

Thank you

@Jaro wrote:
for management and backups.

This sort of information isn't any help. 

What sort of backups?  What are the downstream clients? 

Catalyst switches are not designed to service high-speed servers.  The buffers are notoriously shallow.  

(However, this doesn't stop a lot of people buying Catalyst switches, hooking up the servers, and then complain of massive Total Output Drops.)

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

In one room I need 16 x 10 Gbit ports for customers + interconnection and 30 x 1 Gbit ports.

If you need 16 x 10Gig and 30 x 1Gig copper ports, you really need one separate switch for your 10Gig ports (for example C-9300-24UX) and one for 1Gig ports (C-9300-48P) and than use the uplink module to interconnect the switches together.

can I use 8x10Gbit/s uplinks as standard ports ?

Yes, you can use the uplink ports for whatever you like but they are mostly used for uplinking switches together or switches to routers, etc.. and not so much for connecting to end devices e.g servers, storage, etc..

It is possible to make something like VSS or it is not possible for cisco 9300 series ?

The 9300 series switches can be stacked together, which is close to VSS in other platforms.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card