Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9300 - SQUASHFS Errors

CiscoReece
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've tried to upgrade a 9300 from 16.6.4 to 17.3.5 and I'm getting the below errors.

%IOSXE-3-PLATFORM: Switch 1 R0/0: kernel: squashfs: SQUASHFS error: unable to read xattr id index table
%IOSXE-3-PLATFORM: Switch 1 R0/0: kernel: squashfs: SQUASHFS error: Xattrs in filesystem, these will be ignored
%INSTALL-3-OPERATION_ERROR_MESSAGE: Failed to install_add package flash:cat9k_iosxe.17.03.05.SPA.bin, Error: [1]: FAILED: Expanding all-in-one software package failed in switch 1
%INSTALL-3-OPERATION_ERROR_MESSAGE: Failed to install_add package flash:cat9k_iosxe.17.03.05.SPA.bin, Error: [1] FAILED: Add failed in switch 1

Has anyone else had this error before and if so, were they able to fix?

Thanks,

Reece

15 Replies 15

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

See link below. There appear to be a bug related to an earlier version (not the one you are running). Either case, I would open a support ticket for this.

https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvk11510

HTH

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you explain how are you upgrading, is this switch in bundle mode or install mode

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I'm attempting the upgrade through DNA Centre. Switch is in install mode.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Try fsck flash:

M. 

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

@marce1000 wrote:
- Try fsck flash:

Not going to work.  Look at the error message.  It is being generated at the kernel-level.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What command was used to perform the Install Mode?
What is the uptime of the switch (stack)?

I'm attempting the upgrade through DNA Centre. The uptime was 400+days so I've performed a reboot and tried again but still getting the xattr errors.

%SIGNATURE-3-NOT_ABLE_TO_PROCESS: %ERROR: Not able to process Signature in flash:cat9k_iosxe.17.03.05.SPA.bin. 
%IOSXE-3-PLATFORM: Switch 1 R0/0: kernel: squashfs: SQUASHFS error: unable to read xattr id index table

@CiscoReece wrote:
I'm attempting the upgrade through DNA Centre.

Don't.  Just don't. 

Please read the attached file.  I have made the document easy-to-understand and I have thoroughly tested and applied the method for the last 5 years without a single failure.  

thanks a lot for this doc. 

@MHM Cisco World wrote:
thanks a lot for this doc. 

Here are some more.

thanks a lot, great job. 

Thanks Leo. Still getting these xattr errors unfortunately...

Cut-n-paste the lines when the command is entered all the way down.  I got to see this.  

Post the complete output to the command "dir" as well.

It worked! Had to do another reboot, the error I was referring to was something different.

After copying the firmware to the switch via tftp, I initiated install and success with no issues! 

Thank you for your support @leo 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card