Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9500 ISSU

donnie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We intend to upgrade our cisco 9500 switch (stack of 2x switches using SVL) from 16.9.2 to 16.9.4 using the steps highlighted below.

================================================================================================

CS01#install add file flash:cat9k_iosxe.16.09.04.SPA.bin
This command downloads the image into the bootflash and expands it on both the switches.
Note: Wait until install_add says SUCCESS (SUCCESS: install_add). If fails, manually abort ISSU.

CS01#install activate issu
STAGE 0: Initial System Level Sanity Check before starting ISSU
STAGE 1: Installing software on Standby
STAGE 2: Restarting Standby
STAGE 3: Installing software on Active
STAGE 4: Restarting Active (switchover to standby)
At the end of Activate state, check the ISSU states.

CS01#show issu state detail
Note: Wait until SSO terminal state before proceeding to commit (Operating mode: sso, terminal state reached).

CS01#install commit
The commit command performs the necessary clean up, enables the new software as permanent
(removing the older version of the software) and stops the rollback timer. Any reboot after the
commit will boot with new software.
Note:’SUCCESS: install_commit’ indicate ISSU is completed

================================================================================================

Recently we did a reboot of the standby switch of our cisco 9500 stack (using "redundancy reload peer) and during the process of booting up the standby switch there is 1min plus of outage to our production traffic where the whole stack seem to be affected.

Is this expected even though only the standby switch of the stack was rebooted? Will i expect the same outage when i perform the above upgrade using ISSU?

Secondly, should i complete my upgrade to 16.9.4 and find that my cisco 9500 stack is unstable, how do i fallback to 16.9.2? TIA!

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Never believe in the "hype" about ISSU or FSU/eFSU.
Use the command "request platform software package install switch all file flash:IOS_FILENAME.bin auto-copy verbose [force]" and then reload both units simultaneously.
Less pain.  Less suffering.  And zero embarrassment.  

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

since you already upgrade the stack (one unit rebooted), I would not recommend going back to downgrade, that is not the best approach. - i did the test ISSU ( even though as @Leo Laohoo mentioned, i am also not a big fan) - but it worked for me one of the tests i have conducted not seen any downtime as mentioned by you.

Now you have a mismatch of versions in the production is this correct?

So request for maintenance window that expects to have small downtime as you seen before, and reload the primary (thinking that your secondary already booted with 16.9.4 ?)

have you read the complete release notes and do you see any effects in your config?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi all,

Forgot to mention that i manually rebooted my standby switch (using "redundancy reload peer") because when i attempted to perform the upgrade i got the following which shows my standby is offline. Also notice that i couldn't configure any interface on my standby switch until i did "redundancy reload peer".

=========================================================================================

SW01#install activate issu

install_activate: START Fri Jan 31 19:15:52 SGT 2020

install_activate: Activating ISSU

NOTE: Going to start Activate ISSU install process

STAGE 0: Initial System Level Sanity Check before starting ISSU

===================================================

Standby is not online. User can manually abort the ISSU

operation once Standby is online

ERROR: install_activate  exit(2 )

=============================================================================================

Now my question is if i perform the following upgrade, will i experience the outage (1min plus) that i experience when i rebooted (using "redundancy reload peer") my standby switch? Since ISSU is not suppose to experience any outage during upgrade. TIA!

=================================================================================

CS01#install add file flash:cat9k_iosxe.16.09.04.SPA.bin

CS01#install activate issu

CS01#show issu state detail

CS01#install commit

Post ISSU Check
Check Code Version
ENSPRCORPCS01#show version | in IOS XE
ENSPRCORPCS01#show version | in INSTALL
ENSPRCORPCS01#show issu state detail

=====================================================================================

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card