Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9600 StackWise Virtual Question

Rami Ibrahim
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys, 

We have 2 9600 deployed as StackWise Virtual, there is a requirement that some users connected on this stack migrated to another site that is fully prepared (FW, internet links,etc.) except of core switch.

I'm thinking of powering off the primary unit move it to the new site, power it on and let users connect to it. And after all users are migrated power off the secondary unit, move it to the new site and connect SVL links. 

Is this scenario correct, are there any issues that could restrict this?

Thanks a lot. 

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you mean Physical Move to another side, with any VSL Links between ? In this case, they are not part of SVL, they Operate independently?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi balaji,

Thanks for your response.

Yes exactly I mean both active in two different sites. Once migration is over take secondary from old site and connect it with Primary in new site.

Regards.

This Looks like Split brain situation, never done this, but technically duable i guess.  ( Hope you are not make any changes).

For testing and demonstrate this works, Turn off the Primary VSS Kit (in the maintenance window) see all working as expected.

remove all the Conneciton and turn on the Primary Node and check the status before you move to Other Location ?

Hope your End device not going to connect both the nodes ? and you do not have any intention any DWDM Link between VSS until you move both the kits.

Make some Plan before you take further steps : do some testings.

BB

Thanks a lot for your help. 

Sure there will be no DWDM links or any interconnection between the switches and end device must access one of them at a time.

However, I may add some new SVIs on primary unit at the new site. When standby needs to rejoin, the primary should maintain its role and gives changes in config to standby is it correct Sir?

Knowing that both switches have default priorities as of now.

what ever changes need to be done when the VSS in place , No change when the re-location taking place.

Make simulation on the same site connecting one device after splitting VSS (so you will be more confident.)

BB

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card