cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO ASA 5505 - Do I need a license to configure trunk ports?

c.mcauley1
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have the base license with the CISCO ASA 5505. Do I need to purchase the Security Plus license or any other "trunking license" in order to be able to configure trunk ports? Or is trunking enabled by default? Thanks.

EDIT: And if I do indeed need  Security Plus license, where can I purchase this separately? (As I already have the ASA 5505 with Base license)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Trunking is only available with the SecurityPlus license which you can buy at your preferred Cisco reseller.

But as this license is quite expensive, also consider to migrate to a new 5506-X as the 5505 is legacy technology and approaching EOL in the near future.

@aaronkb2002: VTP is not available on the ASA and typically not needed as the ASA has only to know a subset of the VLANs available on the switches.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

aaronkb2002
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

I didnt think you could enable trunking on the ASA ? 

I did try to enable VTP on ASA but it didnt work ? 

Trunking is only available with the SecurityPlus license which you can buy at your preferred Cisco reseller.

But as this license is quite expensive, also consider to migrate to a new 5506-X as the 5505 is legacy technology and approaching EOL in the near future.

@aaronkb2002: VTP is not available on the ASA and typically not needed as the ASA has only to know a subset of the VLANs available on the switches.

Thanks very much for this answer. This was exactly what I needed.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card