cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C2960-24TT-L ping issue after upgrade and directory deletion

mBastien0100
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Cisco community, I am a beginner practicing and I've been stuck on this issue for the past two days and I believe I have narrowed down the issue to being a problem with the switch. I have a simple network topology attached to this post for better reference. I connected my comcast router via Ethernet cable to the switch's g0/1 interface. Before I connected anything else the switch was able to ping to my desktop's wnic without an issue. This is how I was able to copy the c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-55.SE8 image stored in flash over to the tftp server and then copy the IOS c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE11.bin over to the switch. I configured the boot system to load with IOS v15. After booting with the new image I proceeded to removing the IOS 12 directory that had the bin image, an html file I think and a config file inside. I figured I wouldn't need these since the new image was now working on the switch. But since then I have not been able to ping any device besides my router from the switch. This is when I proceeded to adding my laptop and pc directly to the switch interfaces and still I could not ping the hosts connected to the switch. But on both hots' cmd I was able to ping the switch and get a reply. I am not able to ping the laptop from the pc and vice versa yet there is internet connection and I can browse. I'm not sure if it was the directory I deleted or just the new image (or that the ios has made it a layer 2 switch completely) but it's been a huge pain. I've made sure that the dhcp settings on the comcast router is correct, the default gateway is set on the switch, and that the interfaces are on the proper vlan which is vlan 1. They are also on the same subnet of 10.0.0.x. I don't think it's the firewall because it would've blocked my pings when I first set the switch up, I even tried with different ip as well. I also was able to ping 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 from the switch, (or so it says... idk if its a bug -_-). I've looked all over the internet and have gained no clues as to why it isn't working. I did the same configurations on packet tracer with just the switch and 2 hosts and they were able to ping each other. I don't know please help, Thanks in advance guys I know this was an extensive explanation.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

After constant tinkering I figured out the issue. It was my antivirus. It blocked the icmp echos to the nodes. The switch is now able to ping both the laptop and the pc and the nodes are able to successfully ping each other!! Thanks again Mark for your help it was much appreciated!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
switch is L2 only yes and devices are on same subnet so its arp only no L3 communication yet if pinging just between each other , what does the arp table and mac address table show you for it , are the devices in complete state ?

Make sure the masks are correct on each device and gateway is the vlan 1 SVI

could you post some outputs so we can take a look
anything in show loggs
show run int x/x from each of the devices
show arp and show mac address table

Hello Mark, Thank you for your reply. I checked and posted a show run on the connected interfaces. I also cleared the dynamic mac table and did a show mac, as well as a show arp. I'm not sure what you mean by if the devices are in a complete state but the ip address and mask of each are configured correctly, each with a mask of 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway being 10.0.01.

Also the switch's default gateway is the same. Now on the arp table it only showed the switch's information. But after I pinged ip of each of the devices connected to the switch, which all the pings were not successful, the arp table showed the other devices information. I'm still unable to ping one host from the other. But each device can ping the router including the switch. Each host can ping the switch as well. I did notice something about the boot image and I don't think its loaded properly. Hopefully the images provide enough information as to what is going on.

After constant tinkering I figured out the issue. It was my antivirus. It blocked the icmp echos to the nodes. The switch is now able to ping both the laptop and the pc and the nodes are able to successfully ping each other!! Thanks again Mark for your help it was much appreciated!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card