Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C4507R+E Quad Sup VSS

Ng Tian Sheng
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I need some help from you guys on configuring the quad sup VSS on two 4507 chassis.

May I have the guide on how to configure quad sup VSS? Is it complicated?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Hi Rajeev,

As everyone says VSS with SSO with Quad SUP is not supported in CAT4500, but at the same time it is also mentioned that in case of failure of ICA, we have to boot the ICS manually from ROMMON mode.But it not mentioned anywhere how that SUP wil participate in VSS or rather how it will get synced with VSS active SUP at that time.

If you have any reference please share....

Regards,

Ganpat Gawas.

Ganpat,

You may have a look here.  I spent many hours testing this.  This will walk you through the installation and help you with some of the pitfalls of this deployment.  Just ensure you understand the limitations before diving in.  

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/118597-config-vss-00.html

HTH

lp

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your prompt response...

Document which you provided is very helpful on front of configuring VSS with Quad SUP in  CAT4500. but it does not describe fail-over scenarios. As mentioned in the document we will have connectivity VSL between Active SUP in both the chassis and similarly standby SUP in both the chassis. But in this case following points are not clear...

• what will happen when one of the in-chassis active sup fails & we make in-chassis standby SUP up?
  • What will be  status of that SUP in VSS?

This questions are still unanswered.... So  please help me to understand the fail-over scenarios of VSS.

Thanks,

Ganpat Gawas, 

What is the model of your supervisor card?  Sup7 & Sup8 will now support Easy VSS.  

Please note that Easy VSS is NOT supported on LAN Base feature set.    Also note that for VSS, you'll need to upgrade the ROMmon of the Sup7 card.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card