cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C9300-48 management port pinging.

MaxJ
Level 1
Level 1

Using management port of Cisco 9300 to to connect to my laptop for TFTP connection after configuring both ports with same subnet, TFTP working fine I was able to copy files from laptop to Switch also I was able to ping the switch from laptop but could not ping the laptop from the switch through management port, it didn't stop my work but just curious why I can not ping the laptop from the switch using management port, is there anything in management port settings that blocks outgoing ping request by default.

Also I was able to ping the laptop from any switch access port, just to let you know that that there is no setting in laptop that blocks the incoming ping request.

Management port set to: 192.168.173.5    255.255.255.240

Laptop Ethernet Lan port set to: 192.168.173.4     255.255.255.240

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you can not ping the laptop from the switch, make sure the windows firewall application on the laptop is not blocking ICMP traffic.

If that is not the case, are you connecting your laptop to interface GigabitEthernet0/0 on the switch? if yes, and you want to ping the laptop, you would need to source the ping from the vrf interface.

example:

ping vrf Mgmt-vrf 192.168.173.4

HTH

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

by default switch uses GRT (Global routing table) - so if the mgmt belong to VRF you need to use VRF to ping as an example :

ping vrf Mgmt-intf 192.168.173.4

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card