cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C9407 stackwise virtual dual supervisor

Adnan Khan
Level 4
Level 4

If I have 2 x C9407 with a dual supervisor. What is the best practice to have SVL from both supervisors between 2 chassis? Can anyone share with some diagram how two 9407 supervisor chassis will connect each other to form SVL and dual active links? I would appreciate StackWise and dual active configuration as well.

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9400/software/release/16-9/configuration_guide/ha/b_169_ha_9400_cg/configuring_cisco_stackwise_virtual.html#id_75434

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Adnan Khan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Marce 1000

I have attached one diagram can you confirm if connectivity will be like this in the case of the dual supervisor to form SVL between the chassis and what about the dual active links how they can connect between chassis?

Hi.

Have a look at this document for some restrictions on license and the type of ports you can use for SVL. The key to remember is that when you use 2 sups per chassis, only the primary sup is active and the backup sup is powered down which I think defeats the purpose of this type of redundancy. I personally recommend using one Sup per chassis. 

Restrictions for Cisco StackWise Virtual

• Cisco StackWise Virtual is supported only on Cisco Catalyst 9404R and Cisco Catalyst 9407R switches.

• Cisco StackWise Virtual is supported on Cisco Catalyst 9400 Series Supervisor 1 Module (C9400-SUP-1) and Cisco Catalyst 9400 Series Supervisor 1XL Module (C9400-SUP-1XL). The feature requires a special, additional, C9400-SUP-UPG-LIC= license with Cisco Catalyst 9400 Series Supervisor 1 Module (C9400-SUP-1).

• Cisco StackWise Virtual configuration commands will be recognised only on a switch running Network Advantage license. The configuration commands will not be recognised on a Network Essentials license.

• StackWise Virtual Link (SVL) connections are established only through 10G or 40G uplink ports on the supervisor module. You cannot establish an SVL using a 10G port on one switch and a 40G port on the other switch.

• Cisco StackWise Virtual can be configured only on one supervisor module per chassis. You can install two supervisor modules in each chassis used in the Cisco StackWise Virtual solution. However, only one of the supervisor modules will be active; the other module will be powered off.

• When deploying Cisco StackWise Virtual, ensure that VLAN ID 4094 is not used anywhere on the network. All inter-chassis system control communication between stack members is carried over the reserved VLAN ID 4094 from the global range.

• Dual-active detection (DAD) and StackWise Virtual (SVL) link configuration must be performed manually and the device should be rebooted for the configuration changes to take effect.

• Fast Hello dual-active detection is supported only on supervisor module ports. Enhanced PAgP dual-active detection is supported on supervisor module ports and line cards.

• Only Cisco Transceiver Modules are supported.

• The interface VLAN MAC address that is assigned by default, can be overridden using the mac-address command. If this command is configured on a single SVI or router port that requires Layer 3 injected packets, all other SVIs or routed ports on the device also must be configured with the same first four most significant bytes (4MSB) of the MAC address. For example, if you set the MAC address of any SVI to xxxx.yyyy.zzzz, set the MAC address of all other SVIs to start with xxxx.yyyy. If Layer 3 injected packets are not used, this restriction does not apply.

• https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9400/software/release/16-9/configuration_guide/ha/b_169_ha_9400_cg/configuring_cisco_stackwise_virtual.html
  • HTH

Thanks for the reply but in the link you shared I see Domain 20 they are connected as I shared the diagram. I have 2 C9400-SUP-1XL per chassis and I have to use it so if the supervisor fails so still SVL should remain active. Please confirm if this diagram is correct and how the Dual active link should connect?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card