Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C9500 PSU Issue

Roy Sandy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone
I have a C9500 Stack Switch with IOS Version 16.12.1[FC2] & 2x650W PSU C9K-PWR-650WAC-R. There was once a case where one PSU went off, the HW of the device was still on but all the connections and links were down. The question is, why is this happening, isn't a redundant PSU?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

based on screenshot we are are not sure how many PSU you have, show modules and show evniron show us more information

what mode PSU configured redundant ? Also this is SVL - so is the PSU x 2 installed on both the switches ? ( so totaly 2 PSU ?)

Note : 16.12.X code has many bugs those all resolved in 17.3.6 or 17.6.4 to upgrade.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...There was once a case...
       - Difficult to backtrack on what happened exactly , perhaps other factors were involved too (e.g.). Best is to always have a syslog server configured on the C9500 (stack) so that device logs can always be reviewed  , also during production stages (e.g.). Flexible options are usually available to archive logs too (on the syslog server)  and go back in time  for log analysis , if needed , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

thankyou for response
you can see the log bellow:

based on screenshot we are are not sure how many PSU you have, show modules and show evniron show us more information

what mode PSU configured redundant ? Also this is SVL - so is the PSU x 2 installed on both the switches ? ( so totaly 2 PSU ?)

Note : 16.12.X code has many bugs those all resolved in 17.3.6 or 17.6.4 to upgrade.

BB

thankyou for response

how i check redundant mode?

You can see detail device inven bellow:

If you have logs, can you post all the logs form the start to end (in TEXT file no SCREENSHOT)

also upgrade highly suggested to to repeat that issue again.

BB

>...how i check redundant mode?
   Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/220196-troubleshoot-power-supplies-on-catalyst.pdf , checkout the document mode as how to set power supplies in redundant mode or not and how to verify the settings , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

4 supplies in 2 9500-48y4C SVL, lost a single supply in one of the 9500's

Lanman70
Level 1
Level 1

Had similar issue, UPS failure on one of the pwr supplys, all glc-t ports started up/down remained until power was restored to down supply.   TAC wanted to send a replacement psu, said i should run with both supplies.

Roy Sandy
Level 1
Level 1

@marce1000 @balaji.bandi thanks for your prompt response and advice. It seems that due to a bug in the ios 16.2 version, I will upgrade it

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card