Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Cat 9500 stacking and high availability

abee
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a pair of Cat 9500 and Network essential license.  As I know there will be VRRP available to use with that licnese. I'd like to ask when both switches connect as a Stack switch, do I have to worry about the HA since they are acting as a single switch? I'm a little confuse on those area.

6 Replies 6

nazimkha
Level 4
Level 4
Catalyst 9500 support stackwise virtual and work like a single switch So you wont require a First Hop Routing Protocol like HSRP or VRRP

Hello,

we have network essential license on our switches, so that stackwise virtual is not an option for us. :(

Abee,

If you have Essentials then there is no connecting as a stack switch. Only when using StackWise Virtual (SWV) will two 9500s be seen as a single entity from a forwarding perspective. When using VRRP, the two 9500s are still independent forwarding entities and must be treated as such.

Cheers,
Scott

Just want to confirm with the Essential license, I can't do stack switch and we have to treat them as independent switches?  That's mean if i want to connect a host, I have to connect that host to both switches to get redundancy? 

Abee,

Correct. No SWV with Essentials.

Cheers,
Scott

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Be more clear is it StackWise virtual SWV? If yes then both switches having shared managment but forwarding panel will be differently. So you need to use the VRRP.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card