Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 2960-X series

eunicemeukieje
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon,

we had a power failure  in the premises last week and after that one of our Switch is rebooting over and over and we can not login to the console the message displayed is "error reading the serial port".

do someone here face such an issue?

i will appreciate if he can share the solution of this.

thanks,

Stephane

11 Replies 11

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Looks like a message from your 'operator-infrastructure' ; what solution are you using to access the serial port ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

i am using a console cable and putty.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Console into the switch and post the entire boot-up process.

I am not able to access the console however see attached the error message received.

screenshot 2960 series switch.jpgscreenshot 2960 series switch.jpg

@eunicemeukieje

Seems your not able to perform any command, can you perform following,

1) Try with a different serial cable and use SCRT or default hyper terminal.

2) if still rebooting, disconnect all the cables and then try.

BR

Tayyab

*** Please rate all helpful responses and mark solutions***

@eunicemeukieje

Can you try above and post here.

Error reading from serial device means an issue with the console cable & port. 

This has nothing to do with the switch.

Hi,

The switch rebooting wihtout connecting the consle cable or its start rebooting when your connecting the serial cable?

if it's rebooting without connecting the cable look like PS having issue or switch got faulty and you have to contact Cisco TAC and do the RMA.

If its start rebooting when connecting the USB serial cable, please answer following questions;

Does the device appear at all when you plug it in?

Do you hear the connected sound in Windows?
What driver are you using? With Win10 you should not use the Particel drivers but Windows’ own drivers - if you use the Particle drivers remove them from your system.
If you want to prevent the permanent reassignment of the COM port you can use the advanced settings in DevMgr to set the desired port and from then on the device should stick with that port number.

BR

Tayyab

Hi Tayyab

thanks for your message.

the switch is rebooting without the console cable connected.but once the console cable is connected see below the message received.cisco catalyst 2960 error.png

Andrew Khalil
Spotlight
Spotlight

@eunicemeukieje,

Greetings,

Actually, I faced such a problem, and I have searched everywhere! but I wasn't lucky enough to find such an issue solved anywhere, I have found some suggestion from a Cisco Employee through "Cisco Learning Network" website, and he was suggesting Replacing  the switch! as a result, the one who issued that problem replaced it!!!!!!! I couldn't believe that it can happen! 

Anyway, and without any more prolongation, I have fixed it, and I would like to share my experience in order to point others to the hardware limitations as well! 

The Solution was simply to open the body of the switch itself, and to plug out the console port wire from the switch board, then power the switch on, and again turn it of, and finally plug in the console wire back, when you power the switch, the console input will work prefect! 

Note: you can check the disassembly process and procedures photos as attached! 

The conclusion, is some time you need to assume some hardware limitations when you pass all the usual software troubleshooting procedures! 

Thanks, and wishing to be useful and helpful for those who suffer the same issue, or even to be added as an additional experience to the people who like to learn! 

Please don't forget to rate all helpful responses and mark solutions! 

It will be so nice from you!

Bst Rgds,

Andrew Khalil

Dear Khalil,

thanks so much for your suggestion. however i have followed them step by step but now i am receiving a writing error on serial port.screenshot 2960 write error.jpg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card