cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 2960-X switch won't enter Express Setup

hasno
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a Cisco 2960X-48TD-L switch. I can configure the switch via the console (using the USB mini console port) but I'm unable to get the thing to enter Express Setup mode.

I'm following the directions here, in the Getting Started guide. I'm copying the summary instructions here for easy reference:

1. Make sure that nothing is connected to the switch.
  2. During Express Setup, the switch acts as a DHCP server. If your PC has a static IP address, temporarily configure your PC settings to use DHCP before proceeding to the next step.
  3. Power the switch by connecting the AC power cord to the switch power supply and to a grounded AC outlet.
  4. Observe the POST results.
  5. Press the Mode button when the SYST, MAST, and STAT LED turn green, hold the Mode button until all the LEDs next to the Mode button turn green.
  6. Connect a Category 5 or 6 Ethernet cable to a port:
  7. Start a browser session on the PC, and enter the IP address https://10.0.0.1. When prompted, enter the default password, cisco.
  8. Enter this information in the Network Settings fields:
  9. Enter information in the optional fields.
  10. Click Submit to save your changes and to complete the initial setup.
  11. Disconnect the switch from the PC, and install the switch in your network.
  12. If you changed the static IP address on your PC in Step 2, change it to the previously configured static IP address.
  13. You can now manage the switch by using Cisco Network Assistant, Device Manager, or both. See Managing the Switch for information about configuring and managing the switch. We strongly recommend that you download Cisco Network Assistant from Cisco.com and use it to manage the switch.

The problem is that after step 5, I'm unable to visit the default IP address, 10.0.0.1, in my browser. After a short time, the switch reboots and I'm back at step 1.

I've tried disconnecting my PC from the company networks (both ethernet and wifi) before starting the process. It doesn't solve my problem.

When my PC is connected to the company ethernet, it's using DHCP for its IP assignment.

Figure 1 lists my PC information.

Ultimately, I'd like to use Cisco Network Assistant to manage the switch, but I'm not able to get through the Express Setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Jeff

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card