cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 3650-48FD-S crashed during OS firmware update

Ricky.ward
Level 1
Level 1

We are in the process of updating our 3650's from Denali 16.3.10 to Gibraltar-16.12.5b. During the update, these switches all failed and we had to reinstall the OS via TFPT. The ones that are already on Gibraltar did not fail but only the ones on Denali. 

Any suggestions why this could have happened would be appreciated. 

Screenshot 2021-05-06 091817.png

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at the thread some bug :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/cisco-3650-reboot-loop/td-p/3223980

if this not the case please let us know.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- If not resolvable , then I would suggest to save the configuration, factory reset, and install with the intended software version.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Ricky.ward wrote:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)

Get Cisco TAC and get them to analyze this.  Kernel panic during a reboot usually does not bode well. 

Please try a COLD reboot (pull the power cable).

I did a cold reboot and still got stuck in a loop. We ended up having to boot into ROMMON and had to update from there to the same OS. I tried to update to the newest OS this way and it crashed still. Waiting for an engineer to reach back out to me for the RMA process. 

Try upgrading to, say, 16.9.X to see if the results are the same.

You can try any new CODE, but i would RMA the kit rather waste time.

BB

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by try any new CODE? And you say you would suggest RMA the switch instead?

I mean try any other new IOX XE version  between Denali 16.3.10 to Gibraltar-16.12.5b.

Like Fuji ( as Leo mentioned 16.9.6 )  - if you have time see if that resolve the issue. but most case i see it was not worked for me, so we have to RMA.

If you do not have time and and if you have smartnet contract raise TAC case for RMA the device.

BB

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Also, I would like to caution the use of 16.12.X -- It is not as "cracked up" as Cisco wants it to be.  

Stay as far away from 16.12.X, particularly when used on 3650/3850.  

Use 16.3.X or 16.6.X.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card