cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 3750 in stack

a.marashev
Level 1
Level 1

I have Cisco Catalyst 3750- 3 switches in stack. Number 1 is over heating. What I have to do to remove it from stack? I know that, before removing mast turn off and after that removing stack cable. I asking for after that. Please, tell me the command I have to use?

How to find which switch was a master and how to rearrange them? 

Thank you in advance!

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

#show switch
Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1 Active XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 10 V02 Ready
2 Member YYYYYYYYYYYYYY 1 V02 Ready
3 Standby ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ 1 V02 Ready

you can identify the switch port numer master switch has 1/x/x (if configured)

identify the device with MAC address or switch number, remove the faulty one

how to rearrange them? 

when you remove the master other switch automatically elect as slave (Hope you have uplink connected to slave switch also) ? check that before you turn off master switch .

you do not need to re-arrange, if you looking to add or replace the switch, (any re-arrange required reboot of the switch to take effect) - this is maintenance window and service distruptive.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

Sergey Lisitsin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can just remove the switch from a stack and other switch will pick up the master role. Also you can manipulate switch stack master priority if you want a particular unit to take over. Have a look at this article for details:

Cisco 3750x - Set Switch Priority in Stack - Kyle Kowalczyk (kyletk.com)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi,

you can use,

show switch details

to view member details. when you reconnect no special things to do if you haven't customized stack settings. just connect stack cables and power cables. it will take previous port numbers and settings.

Good luck

rate and upvote if this solved your concern

KB

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

#show switch
Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1 Active XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 10 V02 Ready
2 Member YYYYYYYYYYYYYY 1 V02 Ready
3 Standby ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ 1 V02 Ready

you can identify the switch port numer master switch has 1/x/x (if configured)

identify the device with MAC address or switch number, remove the faulty one

how to rearrange them? 

when you remove the master other switch automatically elect as slave (Hope you have uplink connected to slave switch also) ? check that before you turn off master switch .

you do not need to re-arrange, if you looking to add or replace the switch, (any re-arrange required reboot of the switch to take effect) - this is maintenance window and service distruptive.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you!

Sergey Lisitsin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can just remove the switch from a stack and other switch will pick up the master role. Also you can manipulate switch stack master priority if you want a particular unit to take over. Have a look at this article for details:

Cisco 3750x - Set Switch Priority in Stack - Kyle Kowalczyk (kyletk.com)

Thank you, Sergey!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: