Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 3850 - Failed to determine free memory on switch

Marc Aemmer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I'm facing a problem while trying to upgrade a stack-member (standby) in a 3850 stack. The stack-master has got the version 03.06.06E and the stack-member the version 03.06.05E. The following commands led to the error "Failed to determine free memory on switch 2, operation aborted":

- software install source switch 1 switch 2
- software install file tftp: switch 2

Any ideas? I already reloaded the stack-member.

cheers,
Marc

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

That is good news. Can you try copying from flash-1 to flash-2?

copy flash-1:<ios> flash-2

HTH

View solution in original post

Failed to determine free memory on switch 2, operation aborted

This sounds like a bug, however, I agree with Reza.  Copy the monolithic IOS (BIN file) into stack member 2 and reboot.  This will force stack member 2 to load the new IOS in Bundle mode.  Once stack member 2 has recovered from the reboot, initiate the Install mode. 

software install source switch 1 switch 2

I would never recommend anyone use this.  When this command is issued, the stack master will "compile" all the files into a BIN file.  When this happens, this is a very CPU-intensive process and this is why I don't recommend it.  It's better to copy the BIN file into the target switch and initiate the Install mode process.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Please install the same exact IOS version on both the stack master and the stack member and test again.

HTH

Hi Reza

That's exatly what I want to try with the commands mentioned. But I always get the error "Failed to determine free memory on switch 2, operation aborted".

Cheers,
marc

Hi Marc,

If the stacking is not working correctly, than you may not be able to use this command.  Is there a way for you to load the IOS to switch-2  (flash-2)? One way to find out to see if you can see both flash cards (1 and 2) is by issuing this commands

sh flash-1

sh flash-2

If you can't see flash-2, than you may have disconnect the stacking cable and load the same IOS into switch-2 and than stack them again.

HTH

Hi Reza

Both, sh flash and sh flash-2 are working. Any other ideas?

cheers,
Marc

Hi,

That is good news. Can you try copying from flash-1 to flash-2?

copy flash-1:<ios> flash-2

HTH

Failed to determine free memory on switch 2, operation aborted

This sounds like a bug, however, I agree with Reza.  Copy the monolithic IOS (BIN file) into stack member 2 and reboot.  This will force stack member 2 to load the new IOS in Bundle mode.  Once stack member 2 has recovered from the reboot, initiate the Install mode. 

software install source switch 1 switch 2

I would never recommend anyone use this.  When this command is issued, the stack master will "compile" all the files into a BIN file.  When this happens, this is a very CPU-intensive process and this is why I don't recommend it.  It's better to copy the BIN file into the target switch and initiate the Install mode process.

I removed the second switch from the stack and updated it with the .bin file. After reconnecting the switch to the stack everything looked good. Thanks for your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card