Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 4500 Supervisor Engine 6-E

kri.chi.85
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Tech Gurus,

I need a small clarity regarding Cisco Catalyst 4500 Supervisor Engine 6-E.

It has Dual 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplinks (X2 optics). -----------   Can I connect this two uplinks to a distribution layer switch.

Say yes or no.

With Thanks

Chaitanya.G

5 Replies 5

Alvaro Garcia
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, you can.

It would be necessary to have more information about the other switch, configuration, media type, etc; to provide a better answer. But yes, you can connect those ports to a distribution layer switch.

Dear Tech Gurus,

Actually I am having 2 - 10 Gig slots on my 4500 Supervisor Engine 6-E.

I am having 1 distribution layer switches at a different locations.

I will connect the module with optic patch card from supervisor engine to distribution layer switch will it work fine.

With Thanks,

Chaitanya.G

How it works will depend on the type of VTP mode (transparent, client, or sever) your devices are setup and spanning-tree.  It's possible one of your uplinks will be in a blocking state, while the other is forwarding.

Actually I am having 2 - 10 Gig slots on my 4500 Supervisor Engine 6-E.

I wouldn't waste my time.  Unless you have a 4500R+E and Sup7E, then I wouldn't bother with 10Gb.  The standard 4500E chassis and Sup6E can support up to a maximum of 24Gb HALF duplex per slot.  This brings your number down to 12 Gb full duplex.  So if you want to do etherchannel, then  you don't really have enough "umph" to even do a grunt.

Jonathancert_2
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running 4510R-E's with SUP6-E's for my floor closet.  They have 10GB uplinks to a pair of 6509's and having no problems.  You should be fine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card