cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 4506 OS Image deleted: How do I re-install?

LondonCisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Apologies for the newbee question!

I have just taken over the management of a Cisco Catalyst 6540.  The os image has been erased from the switch (as I have just been  informed) and that we need to install the os ourselves.

I have not had experience of a this model before and therefore would welcome any advice or hints on how to install the OS on a switch with no OS installed!

I've started reading on the Internet but am currently confused by "supervisor/msfc", "Cisco IOS/CatOS" and "hybrid/native".

Please can you help!

Thanks

John

P.S.  At a guess, I think that we would want ideally to install Cisco IOS  using the Native Mode but how would I go about doing that?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi John,

Have a look at this link.  Theses are the latest IOS for 4500 with V engine.

depending on your license level, you will need to download one of these images. (you need a CCO account)

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=278814729&flowid=3504&softwareid=280805680&release=15.0.2-SG1&rellifecycle=ED&relind=AVAILABLE&reltype=latest

once you download the IOS, follow this instruction to loaded it to your switch

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_configuration_example09186a0080094ecf.shtml

HTH

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi John,

Is it a 6540 or 6504?

Before downloading an IOS image you need to know

What type of Sup module do you have?

What type of MSFC do you have?

HTH

Hi Reza

Thanks for getting back so fast!

It is a 6540. I don't know what Sup module or type of MSFC we have. How would I find out?

Once I have found those out, do you where I can get instructions to install the OS?

John

John,

If the switch has not been rebooted after the image was erased, you can do a "sh mod" and it will give you the answers.  If it has been rebooted and now the switch boots to Rommon then you need to go look at the sup and see what type it is. If you have a purchase order, that can also tell you the component installed in the switch.

Are you sure about 6540?  How meny slots does the switch have?

HTH

Hi Reza

You are quite right - apologies - it is a Cisco Catalyst 4506. My typos! I also believe the supervisor unit is "cisco catalyst 4500 series supervisor engine".

The switch has been turned off so I imagine will boot to Rommon.

Thanks

John

Hi John,

"cisco catalyst 4500 series supervisor engine" is too general.  There are few different types of Sup modules for the 4500 series.  I would try turning it on, if not some one needs to physically look at the chassis and the sup and find the model numbers.

HTH

Try this:  SH VERSION

Hi John,

If your switch had CatOS before deletion and you are lucky enough (you can use dir or if you know the filename somehow e.g. cat4000.x-x.bin) you can use rommon command "undelete bootflash:nameofthefile" and recover your old CatOS.

Best regards,

Alex

LondonCisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Reza/All

Thanks for all your useful comments up to now.

I was able to make a manual inspection.

The switch is a Cisco Catalyst 4506.

The OS has definitely been wiped & powered off - the console port boots to Rommon.

The modules present are:

1x WS-X4516 SUPERVISOR ENGINE V

2x WS-X4148-RJ (Cisco Catalyst 4500 10/100 Module, 48 Ports (RJ-45))

1x WS-X4224-RJ45V POWER OVER ETHERNET (24 ports)

Any help/advice on going about installing Cisco IOS in the native mode would be much appreciated.

Thanks

John

Hi John,

Have a look at this link.  Theses are the latest IOS for 4500 with V engine.

depending on your license level, you will need to download one of these images. (you need a CCO account)

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=278814729&flowid=3504&softwareid=280805680&release=15.0.2-SG1&rellifecycle=ED&relind=AVAILABLE&reltype=latest

once you download the IOS, follow this instruction to loaded it to your switch

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_configuration_example09186a0080094ecf.shtml

HTH

Brilliant Reza - you're a star!

I'll look at these tomorrow and let you know how I get on!

John

Hi Reza

A quick query which you might be able to help with: what version of IOS would you recommend that we install?

We currently use 12.4 T. Is it a big jump to 15.0.2?

Thanks

John

Hi John,

Any of the IOS 15 requires 256MB DRAM and 64MB flash. If you meet these requirement, then you should fine.

Please read the release notes before downloading, so you are aware of the resolved caveats and bug fixes.

HTH

Hi Reza

Thanks! I have one more query which will be my last on this post - promise!

The IOS has been successfully installed - thanks to your help. I'm just starting the configuration. I have 2 GigabitEthernet ports 1/1 & 1/2 - will they be from the WS-X4516 SUPERVISOR ENGINE V?

John

Hi John,

No problems, glad to help you get things working.  Have a look at the chassis, if the sup modules is installed in slot 1 (which I think it is) then the ports are 1/1 and 1/2.  The first number (1) is the slot number and the second number (2) is the port number. So, if you have blade in slot 3 port 1 would be 3/1 and port 2 would be 3/2 and so on....

Also, here is the data sheet for the sup V.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/product_data_sheet09186a00801fcaba_ps2797_Products_Data_Sheet.html

HTH

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card