Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco catalyst switch boot path

I want to set both new and old IOS image in boot path variable on CISCO catalyst 2960/3750/9300/3850 series switches.
If i set boot path as below it can work or not?
Just have doubt about if new image code broke during upgradation then switch automatically boot to old IOS image or not with below command.

Example:
BOOT path-list : c2960l-universalk9-mz.152-7.E7.bin,c2960l-universalk9-mz.152-7.E1.bin

nileshshankarshete_0-1675162709464.png

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You can only specify one image to boot , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thanks for the reply but whats the solution if i want to keep both Images in boot path as a primary and back up?

you can have only one booth path. if something goes wrong in booting with the OS, you can set boot path to backup OS and both with it at ROMMON mode configurations.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Hello Kasun,
Could you please explain it lil bit more or the command for same?

- You can keep available images in the flash or bootflash to recover and or when you want to specify another available boot image, but that has to be done manually , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello Marce,
Yes totally understand your point. .. there is no solution for it to set both Images in single boot path statement. If anything goes wrong during upgradation we need cinsole to roll back the change...right?#- Please type your reply above this line -##

Sent from Outlook for Android<>

- It depends , a failed  upgrade attempt will usually not have changed the current boot variable (yet) and so it can/will still boot from the existing image, in some cases you may end up in ROMMON (prompt), then boot the working (current-available) image manually , 

M.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card