cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst with Nutanix

iwarn2019
Level 1
Level 1

We are planning to connect 2 stacked Catalyst 9300 to a Nutanix Cluster.  While doing research I found a document recommending the Nexus 9300 and specifying that the Catalyst 9300 wouldn't meet requirements for the Data Center.  There was no reasoning for this and I would like to know why the Catalyst 9300 switches are not recommended.

Thanks in advance,

Ingrid

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco part of design recomend to have nexus switches for DC Environment.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB,

What is the reasoning behind that statement?  Catalyst 9300 switches have the bandwidth required and I would like to know why they are not recommended

Regards,

Ingrid

Cat 9300 is meant to be designed for Accesss switches in the Enterprise environment.

Nexus Switch designed to  is more of Server traffic environemnt.

Some feature which has Cat 9300 may have built in nexus and also have more advanced features in Nexus.

But this does not mean you should not use Cat 9300 in server enviroment, they do use in small environment.

Some good feature in related to nexus

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-7000-series-switches/at_a_glance_c45-605626.pdf

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB,

Thanks for the link

Hi Luis,

Thanks for the comparison link, we have a small-medium environment and the two catalyst switches should work.  I was worried there was something specific that would cause problems if we used the Catalyst switches with Nutanix

Best Regards,

Ingrid

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card