Helpful
Replies

cisco deny operation 2960 switch

a7_seven7
Level 1
Level 1

hello

i have wonderfull problem:

we have about 40, ws-c2960-24tc-l switch. and we changed ios of all switches to "c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-s0.SE1.bin" after few days about 30 of these switches become none operational and when you want to loggin it says:"%ILET-1-AUTHENTICATION_FAIL: this switch may not have been manufactured by cisco or with cisco's authorization.this product may contain software that was copied in violation of cisco's license terms.if your use of this product is the cause of a support issue,cisco may deny operation of the product,support under your warranty or under a cisco technical support program such as smartnet. please contact cisco's technical assistance center for more information",but some of switches still work with this ios,what is problem?

15 Replies 15

rosenhan
Level 1
Level 1

Had the exact same problem, removed the non-Cisco GLC-T that was in port 51 on the switch, rebooted and viola!  The switch came up and worked fine.

The issue was the non-Cisco branded SFP that was causing the error.  Funny thing is, I waited for it to boot, then put the SFP back into the port and it works fine.  But if the SFP is still in the switch when you boot up, this error will pop up and the switch won't work.  

This is a very big problem.  I understand Cisco wanting to corner the market with their approved SFP's that have a pretty substantial markup, but making the switch unworkable if it see's a non-Cisoc SFP in a slot is just ridiculous.

Just my opinion here, nothing more :)

Edited********

One other item I just figured out is the "service unsupported-transceiver" command will work in the 15.x code.  Once I put this command into the switch, it will reboot with the non-Cisco SFP still in its slot and come up fine.  Cisco does not recommend this, and they won't support the SFP (for obvious reasons).

Figured I would let you know what I found.

Good Luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card