Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco device Licenses and Images

cknox1
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon,

I have a question regarding just a basic understanding of Cisco Images and licenses - I know that a device will need to have an image which needs to be pre loaded onto the device before it can start working in the correct manner.

However, is it possible just to get a response regarding the differences between the image and the licenses that we have to have on our cisco products? For example a Cisco switch needs to have a specific image loaded onto it then a license which can open up more features... I think.

Other questions I have apart from the a generic definition between the license and images, are:

- Do the images ever need to be changed?

- Does the license ever run out?

- If a switch goes faulty, can the license purchased with the device be transferred onto another device?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated as I am really stuck at the moment :D

Many Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

So, as you already know every device needs to have an image to work. Now, as for licensing, it depends on the platform you are using.  For example, if you are using a Cisco 3850, in addition to the image, you also need to purchase a license.  In most cases, the 3850 series comes with IP Based license. So, you don't have to do anything if that fits your need.  Now, if you, for example, want to run BGP on the same 3850, you need to purchase and install IP Services license. So, it all depends on what features sets you need. 

Do the images ever need to be changed? In most cases yes. For example, if the image you are running has a bug and causing problems, you would need to upgrade to a different image to remedy the issue.

Does the license ever run out.  No, after you pay for it and install it, the license is permanent.

If a switch goes faulty, can the license purchased with the device be transferred onto another device? Yes.

HTH

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

So, as you already know every device needs to have an image to work. Now, as for licensing, it depends on the platform you are using.  For example, if you are using a Cisco 3850, in addition to the image, you also need to purchase a license.  In most cases, the 3850 series comes with IP Based license. So, you don't have to do anything if that fits your need.  Now, if you, for example, want to run BGP on the same 3850, you need to purchase and install IP Services license. So, it all depends on what features sets you need. 

Do the images ever need to be changed? In most cases yes. For example, if the image you are running has a bug and causing problems, you would need to upgrade to a different image to remedy the issue.

Does the license ever run out.  No, after you pay for it and install it, the license is permanent.

If a switch goes faulty, can the license purchased with the device be transferred onto another device? Yes.

HTH

Hi Reza,

Note that some of the new "smart" licenses will run out / expire.

Besides on security products like ISE or Firepower Threat Defense, think also enterprise switching like SDA and ETA on the new Catalyst 9000 series.

Hi Marvin,

Good to hear from you. Hope all is well.

I am afraid this licensing business is getting more complicated.

Reza

Robin9
Level 1
Level 1

Answer to your query

- Do the images ever need to be changed? ---> if you find some defect in your current img/software code which impact your production services then you can upgrade it to any next release img which addresses your issue without any issue.

- Does the license ever run out? ----> App/Device licenses are permanent or years-based subscriptions…

- If a switch goes faulty, can the license purchased with the device be transferred onto another device? -----> yes in this case you can reach out cisco licensing team to re-host the same license on new device

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
In addition to what the others have posted, on some device you did need to insure the image supported your license(s). For example, on the 3750X, you could obtain either an IPBase image or a Universal image. The former only supported the IPBase feature set. The latter supported either the iPBase or IPServices features set, but to activate the latter, you also needed the IPServices license.

cknox1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Thank you for the detailed responses! I have a much better idea of the differences, the images are for the device to work but the licenses are to unlock certain feature sets based on the design requirements. 

I guess that a repository will not need to be kept for licenses in that case as these are on a per device basis which can always be gained from Cisco and only the image repository will be needed. 

Thank you so much guys!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: