cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Etherchannel switch port to HP server

alan-wong
Level 1
Level 1

in 3750.  I would like to know what is the difference between channel-group id mode on and channel-group id mode desirable?

If I want to direct connect etherchannel port to HP server.  I need to use mode on or desirable?

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1

channel-group 1 mode on

or

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1

channel-group 1 mode desirable

Thank you for help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok, that looks more familiar. My recommendation is to use active. Desirable will not work, as it enables PAgP which HP will not understand. You may also use passive if the HP side will initiate.

Kind Regards,

Kevin

**Please remember to rate helpful posts as well as mark the question as 'answered' once your issue is resolved. This will help others to find your solution faster.

Kind Regards, Kevin Sheahan, CCIE # 41349

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Kevin P Sheahan
Level 5
Level 5

Channel-group mode on will not negotiate with the device on the other side of the etherchannel. Channel-group mode desirable negotiates the etherchannel protocol with the distant end and if an agreement is made the channel is built.

For ether channel to HP, you will use LACP as PAGP is Cisco proprietary. My recommendation is to use desirable because if you use on then it would be very easy for you to create a loop that STP would ignore because you've created a static ether channel. If memory serves, you should have more options then just on and desirable. There should be LACP options such as active. Perhaps they're not supported in your code. What do you see when you question mark after "channel-group 1 mode"?

Kind Regards,

Kevin

**Please remember to rate helpful posts as well as mark the question as 'answered' once your issue is resolved. This will help others to find your solution faster.

Hi Kevin

I saw below option. So, "active" or desirable" is the best if I direct connect to HP server?  Please advise.  thank you

Switch(config-if)#channel-group 5 mode ?
  active          Enable LACP unconditionally
  auto            Enable PAgP only if a PAgP device is detected
  desirable     Enable PAgP unconditionally
  on              Enable Etherchannel only
  passive       Enable LACP only if a LACP device is detected

Ok, that looks more familiar. My recommendation is to use active. Desirable will not work, as it enables PAgP which HP will not understand. You may also use passive if the HP side will initiate.

Kind Regards,

Kevin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco