cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IE3000 operating temperature

manue.pena
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,  I recently purchased IE3000 with IEM, however, after doing the initial configuration, it was observed that the device temperature is high as shown below. Does anyone can share information on this issue.  Cisco IE3000Temperature.jpg 

7 Replies 7

Glenn Martin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello  manue.pena

This discussion is posted in the Small Business Support Community and should be in the Enterprise Community. Just letting you know I've moved it to the correct community, and you should find more visibility on this topic.

Thanks

SMB Community Mgr.

Thank you Glenn.

Hoping someone will help me to clary my concern.

Thanks.

Hello Manue,

for the IE3000 that is an industrial ethernet switch 52 celsius degrees is acceptable.

see the hardware installation guide

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/cisco_ie3000/hardware/installation/guide/IE3000HIG/HIGSPEC.html

All you can do is to try to improve airflow exchange in the physical  installation : if you can you can install a FAN to move the air.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Dear Giuseppe,
Is it safe for us to install IE3000 in a sealed enclosure having inside temperature of 50 to 55 degree Celsius?
I did a trial test to see how far the device will reach for about 3 days.
And, the device internal temperature reading reaches up to 78 degree Celsius as you can see below.
[cid:image001.jpg@01D52063.26796A00][cid:image002.jpg@01D52063.26796A00]
Currently, the outside temperature in the region is not yet peak, it will still go higher.
Thank for your reply.
Manny

Hello Manny,

I cannot see the images.

Do you see a rising trend in the device internal temperature?  78 celsius degrees after three days of test is not promising. I agree on this.

If I correctly understand your installation has no FAN and no way to add one in it, because it is a closed cabinet (sealed enclosure).

>> Currently, the outside temperature in the region is not yet peak, it will still go higher.

Is the sealed enclosure exposed to sun light ?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe.

For your additional information, we're in middle east region and working at hazardous environment.

This is the reason why I am very much concern of the operating temperature.

What I observed when I subjected the device for three days outdoor temperature test are:

1. The nominal device internal temperature reading is between 50 to 55 degrees Celsius at room temperature environment.

2. Then, internal temperature increases gradually as environment temperature rise up.

Cisco IE3000Temperature env.jpgCisco IE3000Temperature.jpg

3. As a result of trial, the region temperature inside enclosed enclosure reaches up to 50degrees Celsius. For testing, the enclosure was placed under the sun with minimal shade.

In my conclusion, the switch works fine, but, is the device internal temperature reading need to be worried about, or does Cisco aware of it and technically normal?

regards,

Thanks Giuseppe.

For you additional information, were at the middle East region and working with hazardous environment. This is the reason, I am very much concern of the temperature.
Sorry, you did not manage to see the images. As observed, the switch works fine to me. But, what is not acceptable to me is the device internal temperature reading, 78 degrees Celcius is really shocking reading. So, do i have to expect may be around 80 or more when the temperature rises its peak. Is Cisco, aware of this reading? Is it normal?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco