cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IOS Image for 3650 switches

jpbtimbol16
Level 1
Level 1

Do we need to buy a separate IOS image for Cisco switches? For example, I will buy the WSC3650-8X24PD-L. Am I right to assume that this switch has a built-in IOS image, and I don't have to buy a separate image if not required?

Next question is, If I want to buy an image like the S3650UK9-166... Is it compatible to the WSC3650-8X24PD? Is this image falls on the IOS-XE 16.x series?

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,
The different platform architectures require specific software binaries. A 2960X and 3750X for example both run IOS but the software is not interchangeable.

When you buy a switch it will be switched with the recommended image at time of manufacture.
To gain access to subsequent new releases you will need a Cisco support contract, either through a third party or directly with Cisco.

cheers,
Seb.

Hi Seb, thanks for your feedback. Just a follow up question...
So the WSC36508X24PD-L switch has the recommended image at the time of manufacture... So, if not required by the client to change/upgrade the IOS image, I could still use the switch without buying a separate image? Is that right? Thanks!

You don't buy the software images. All of the images produced for a platform are made available to you through a support contract which you buy.

Sometimes when you a receive a switch it may have sat on a shelf somewhere for a very long time as such the image running on it is equally as old. The older an image the vulnerabilities or bugs it will be susceptible. It is good practice to keep a close eye on:

https://tools.cisco.com/security/center/publicationListing.x

Also, find the software download page for your switch:

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/284850385/type/282046477/release/Denali-16.3.6

...and use the 'Notifications' to subscribe to periodic updates.

cheers,

Seb.

Ok thanks Seb for your reply... Actually, the reason I ask about this is because I am trying to understand a quotation that was given to me. In the quotation it is indicated that I have 1 set of WSC3650-8X24PD-L along with its accessories (like AC power cable) with a specific price. And then I have a separate line of 1 unit of S3650UK9-166, which is a universal K9 IOS image, with a specific price also.

So from what you said, that if all the image platform produced are made available through the support contract that I bought. Then why do I have to pay for a separate S3650UK9-166 image?

Thank you in advance!

It's been a long time since I was involved with price lists and BOMs. Typically you would list the hardware and any additional part-numbers representing a specific license ie, IPBase, LANBase, IPServices.

The only reference I can find for S3650UK9 is a universal licence, with the 166 indicating the IOS-XE v16.6.x train.

I suspect they have added S3650UK9-166 as a way of quantifying the value of the software. Maybe?? Unless of course it means you have a support contract for access to v16.6.x software.

I've seen third party suppliers try to refuse support on hardware which is running a software train which the hardware was not running when it shipped!

cheers,

Seb.

Yeah, based also from my experience; usually I have a switch model and either LANBase or IPBase. The only additional unit with a price besides the actual switch model is the SNTC for the specific hardware that I ordered.

This is the only time that I encountered with a separate unit price for the IOS. Maybe the proper way to deal with this is to ask the quotation maker. And I think you are right to assume that maybe some third party suppliers (including this one) has this way of quantifying the support contract for the license.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card