Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco L3 switch to industrial switch

adeebtaqui
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I was not able to establish communication between between cisco layer 3 switch and  industrial switches.

Industrial switches are confifured with default gateway x.x.y.250 and management ip x.x.y.200 and 201.

I could not find x.x.y.250 configured on L3 switch. I just activated one switch port on l3 switch and link is showing as up but i am not able to ping industrial sw x.x.y.200&201 from cisco l3 switch.

Uplink ports are in mode trunk.

Is there any config that i missed to check on l3 switch as x.x.y.250  is not configuted

4 Replies 4

shaps
Level 3
Level 3
Hard to tell without seeing the config, you mention the cisco switch does not have the IP address that the industrial switches are using as there GW
If it is not there you will need to add it under and SVI and trunk the relevant vlans to the industrial switches.

Captain HoOmi
Level 1
Level 1

Check the logs on the Cisco switch, is the any NATIVE VLAN mismatch error?  

Also do show interface trunk on the Cisco switch, does it show the trunk link as up?

** Please rate this post or accept the solution if it helped! :) **

Do I need to configure vlan 12 on industrial switch as well? My customer does not want any vlan on industrial switch as its used for only industrial access.

On layer 3 switch , I created the default gateway of 12.250 and vlan 12, int vlan 12 and made L3 switch downlink as trunk to industrial switch.

Well, in the Cisco world, a port is either untagged (access) or tagged (trunk). So when the interface is trunk then if you want the packet to be tagged in VLAN 12 then yeah you should have VLAN 12 on the other switch too and allowed on the trunk. Does it have to be in VLAN 12? if not what's the Native VLAN of your trunk? If your other switch doesn't support vlan tagging you may be able to use the native VLAN subnet ( if there is any) as all untagged frames received from the industrial VLAN will be forwared on the native VLAN. 

** Please rate this post or accept the solution if it helped! :) **
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco