Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Meraki Switch

Imran Ahmad
Level 2
Level 2

Hello ,

I want to order new switches for my organization, but I need some info regardless.

Can any one tell me, through which mechanisms we can configure or manage Meraki Switches ?   

As in Cisco Cat Switches, we can configure and manage them using SSH, Telnet,  and GUI.   But, I don't have the info how can we do on Meraki Switches.

As I read "data-sheet" for Meraki Switches, it is written, they are Cloud-Managed Switches.  My confusion here is, if there is internet downtime and there is no access to Meraki Cloud, then how possible to manage my Meraki Switches ?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Martin Carr
Level 4
Level 4

You can't, although the config would remain.

Meraki infrastructure is managed via cloud controllers. It's a Web UI, known as the "dashboard" from an Engineers perspective, it's not as satisfying to manage.

You would require highly available internet connectivity, but then that's pretty standard for most business nowadays.

I'm skeptical of security as well. You would require 2FA, opposed to a challenge (i.e. simple username/password) otherwise your network could potentially be taken control of.

Martin

View solution in original post

itsLos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You also need to consider that every hardware component requires a cloud license in order to be managed. All configurations are done through the cloud. 

The license also allows you to get support from Meraki and you have access to the UI "Dashboard" which has some nice analytics built-in. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Martin Carr
Level 4
Level 4

You can't, although the config would remain.

Meraki infrastructure is managed via cloud controllers. It's a Web UI, known as the "dashboard" from an Engineers perspective, it's not as satisfying to manage.

You would require highly available internet connectivity, but then that's pretty standard for most business nowadays.

I'm skeptical of security as well. You would require 2FA, opposed to a challenge (i.e. simple username/password) otherwise your network could potentially be taken control of.

Martin

Thanks for the info

itsLos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You also need to consider that every hardware component requires a cloud license in order to be managed. All configurations are done through the cloud. 

The license also allows you to get support from Meraki and you have access to the UI "Dashboard" which has some nice analytics built-in. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: