Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus 40G to 1G

omer shtivi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have N9K-C93108TC-EX (48 ports Copper and 6 ports QSFP)

We want to connect a FW using 1G optics so we need to "lower" the speed of the 40G.

So we bought CVR-QSFP-SFP10G and we put a Multi-mode SFP We did the breakout command:

interface breakout module 1 port 49-50 map 10g-4x

but when I issue speed 1000 we receive the following:

Ethernet1/50/1 is down (Transceiver speed does not match the speed configured on the port)

We are using version:

7.0(3)I4(7)

Does anyone knows how do I do it?

BR,

Omer Shtivi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The Optics you are using are 10G 10x4=40 and not 1Gig SFP.  I don't think there is a way to break down a 40Gig interface to 40x1Gig interfaces. I have not seen that.

HTH

Don't need 40 1G, need 1G.

Found out its a version most probably, https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/GE_Tx_Matrix.html#_Toc508962836

So upgrading now:

NXOS-703I7.1

I understand you need only 1 1Gig but the breakout cable is only 10Gig. 

Is this the optic you are using for 1Gig?

GLC-SX-MMD

HTH

Yes, I'm using

GLC-SX-MMD

Works

Great. So, NXOS-703I7.1 works for using 1Gig with a breakout cable.  Does the interface numbering stay the same as 10G? 

HTH

Guys, Can we use 6*40G as Access port..

as I am working on a requirement where I have to connect the 10G Storage NAS Box hence I have proposed CVR-QSFP-SFP10G with SFP-10G-SR and i want to use as Access port with specific VLAN assigned to it...

But I come to know the 6*40G in Nexus 93108/93180 can be only use for uplink purpose as Trunk ...not as Access port...please suggest bit urgent...?

I understood that he isn't using a breakout cable, because he mentioned CVR-QSFP-SFP10G adapter.

So the interface of the switch was physically converted from 40G to 10G and he can be using a OM3/OM4 fiber or single mode fiber.

Even with the QSFP to 10G SFP adapter, is it necessary to input the breakout command? 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card