Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus 5548UP - Policy Based Switching

bunce.jake
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking to implement something similar to PBR at Layer 2 - (Policy Based Switching?!) on a Nexus 5548.

I have a scenario where I have two devices on the same VLAN that need to be inspected by a third party transparent firewall connected to two ports in the same VLAN. For complicated reasons due to the complex environment that the Nexus is used in (not shown in entirety here ;-), all devices must be on the same VLAN. Here's an example of what I'm trying to achieve:

Traffic Flow:

[ Internet ]--->[ Firewall ]--->[ Load balancer ]--->[ Cisco Nexus ]--->[ Application firewall with transparent bridge over two interfaces, inspecting traffic ]--->[ VM Web Server ]

Physical Patching:

Firewall, AppFirewall, VM Web Server in the Nexus 5548UP.

Logical:

Firewall --> Load balancer = VLAN 10

Load balancer --> Cisco Nexus ---> VM Web Server VLAN 20

I'd like to know if it's possible to force traffic from the Web Server to be switched via the AppFw first, instead of switching the traffic locally back to the Load balancer. I think I'm clutching a straws a little bit with this, but it's worth asking anyway :-)

Regards,

Jake

1 Reply 1

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No such a feature called Policy Based Switching. You might be able to do that with PVLAN. Just a thought.

Regards,

jerry

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card