Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus 6001 vs 5672

marramix01
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I am looking for some input on getting a new core infrastructure in place and I can't see to be able to find any information as to what is  the main difference between the cisco  6001 and the 5672 switches. This is a medium size company of about 600 employees (may grow double the size - 1200 employees ) in the next  few years. I don't see to have the need for a bigger platform - i.e Cisco 7K series, as the the switch port count should stay low, also I am looking to integrate FEX 2248 (10gig) on the design (2 pairs) 

I would like to be able to see if the 6001 is more resilient than the 5672 when it comes to back plane throughput, etc. 

Can someone maybe point me on the right direction? 

Thanks again, 

marramix01

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

One more thing.  If you Need to do VDCs, the 6ks don't support it yet, only 7ks.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

These 2 switches are very close when it comes to specs with 5672 being newer and some new features like VXLAN and NVGRE.  The 5672 comes with 6 40Gig interfaces vs the 6001 with 4 40Gig interfaces.

Also, if you are going to connect FEXs to these switches, you need to purchase breakout cables with 40Gig QSFP on one side and 4 10Gig SFP on the other side

HTH

Thanks a lot for the feedback, it clears a lot of things when it comes to making a decision. Yes I saw that 5672 comes with two more 40Gig interfaces than the 6001 witch is it a plus. 

Thanks again, 

marramix01

One more thing.  If you Need to do VDCs, the 6ks don't support it yet, only 7ks.

Good Luck

g.fabre
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco themselves admit that N6001 name was not appropriate, as it may fall more into N5k device list; currently, I don't see any reason to position N6001 over N5672.

in addition to that, new N6001X is coming soon, using 12 QSFP+ (+12 optional with an extansion module) so I would not be suprised that an EOL is announced soon for N6001

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card