Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus N93108TC-EX VPC Recommendations

aghufran
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have to create a vpc domain comprising of 2 x Cisco N93108TC-EX.

For the peer-link I intend to use a port-channel comprising of 2x40-G QSFP links on both the devices.

For the keep-alive I wanted to request advise on the following please:

1) Is it better to connect the mgmt-0 interface on both devices as a cross-connect (point-to-point) directly?

2) Is it better to use an out-of-band switch and then use the mgmt-0 interface?

3) Keep the mgmt-0 interface for pure out-of-band management and use a 1-Gig port under keep-alive dedicated vrf and connect the two swithces together in a cross-connect (point-to-point)?

4) Also, if the mgmt-0 interface can and/or should be used both for VPC keep-alive and out-of-band switch management as well?

I am thinking about using the mgmt-0 interface (under mgmt vrf) for pure out-of-band management and use 1-Gig port (under keep-alive dedicated vrf) for vpc keep-alive.

If it is essentail to know about the NX-OS please assume 7.x.

Please provide reasoning for your answers.

Kind advise.

Regards,

Abid Ghufran.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Abid,

Regarding your vPC keepalive question - The Cisco Best Practice for the keepalive is the following, in descending order of preference:

1. Dedicated link(s) (1-Gigabit Ethernet port is enough) configured as L3. Port-channel with 2 X 1G port is even better.

2. Mgmt0 interface (along with management traffic)

3. As a last resort, route the peer-keepalive link over the Layer 3 infrastructure

In my experience working in the Datacenter TAC, most customers have the L3 dedicated port-channel between the vPC pair. You can also view this recommendation in the Nexus 9000 vPC Configuration Guide here

Hope that helps.

Thank you!

- Andrea, CCIE #56739 R&S

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Is it better to use an out-of-band switch and then use the mgmt-0 interface?

Yes, use mgmt-0 for that by connecting both interfaces to an OOB switch.  This works really well.

Also, if the mgmt-0 interface can and/or should be used both for VPC keep-alive and out-of-band switch management as well?

Yes, that is correct. It can be used for both.

HTH

Hi Reza,

Thanks a lot.

Actually i am more interested in finding out about the recommended industry practice. From research so far the recommendations i have come across are to keep the management in-line and use a separate physical Gig interface (not the mgmt0) back to back for keep-alive. My concern is if a back to back connection would make it difficult to differentiate in between a link failure or a node failure. If the keep-alives go through a switch then it would be possible to differentiate. However that would create an additional dependency on an 3rd device for the vpc to operate for example in case of a power outage related reboots.

Regards,

Abid Ghufran.

Hi Abid,

Regarding your vPC keepalive question - The Cisco Best Practice for the keepalive is the following, in descending order of preference:

1. Dedicated link(s) (1-Gigabit Ethernet port is enough) configured as L3. Port-channel with 2 X 1G port is even better.

2. Mgmt0 interface (along with management traffic)

3. As a last resort, route the peer-keepalive link over the Layer 3 infrastructure

In my experience working in the Datacenter TAC, most customers have the L3 dedicated port-channel between the vPC pair. You can also view this recommendation in the Nexus 9000 vPC Configuration Guide here

Hope that helps.

Thank you!

- Andrea, CCIE #56739 R&S

Thank you very much for the information you have provided. It is certainly what I had been looking - clear and precise.

Kind regards,

Abid Ghufan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card