cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco NX7000 and Cisco NX5000 connectivy

Rosa Ladeira
Level 1
Level 1

I am wondering about Cisco NX7000 and Cisco NX5000 connectivity options.

By now, Cisco NX7000 is working fine together with four Cisco 6509 and four NEXUS 2000.

Each Cisco 6509 switchport mode trunk with NX7000  via 2 ports "port-chanel" configuration.

By the other hand, NX700 is also connected with 4 other NX2000 via switchport mode fex-fabric/fex associate/channel-group.

Finally I woul like to fiber connect NX5000.

Can I use Cisco 6509 model (port-channel configuration) or should a configure mode fex-fabric/fex associate/channel-group as I did for NX7000 connectivity?

Thanks in advance,

Rosa

3 Replies 3

mgalazka
Level 1
Level 1

If I am understanding your question correctly -- how to connect a nexus 5K to nexus 7K, you may want to consider connecting the N7K / N5K using vPC. There are several different options, but since both N5K and N7K support vPC, you can configure as a "double-sided vPC" which gives some added resiliency.

Here's a link to vPC best practices that may have some additional information to help you with your design decision.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

Good luck,

Matt

Edited to add: this is assuming more than one N7K and more than one N5K.

Thanks Matt.

I have thought about this solution, but I have just one NX7000 and one NX5000.

In this case resiliency can not be applied.

An other point is that current version is :

bootflash:n5000-uk9-kickstart.4.0.1a.N2.1.bin

bootflash:n5000-uk9.4.0.1a.N2.1.bin

and in addition no license is installed (as you can see)

nx5020-wc0# sh license usage

Feature                      Ins  Lic   Status Expiry Date Comments

Count

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FM_SERVER_PKG                 No    -   Unused             -

ENTERPRISE_PKG                No    -   Unused             -

FC_FEATURES_PKG               No    -   Unused             -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As nx5000 was bought about 3 years ago, I am not so sure that I can get its licenses.

So, I guess I will have to work around.

Looking at this environment, could you please suggest anything else?

Regards,

Rosa

Hi,

just trunk from the Nexus 5000 to the Nexus 7000, Fex(Nexus 2000) is a remote line card for Nexus 5000 or 7000 and you plug your servers into the Fex.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: