Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco OOB Management setup

Mokhalil82
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I have a new core switch next to my existing core switch. I want to setup OOB management to my new core via my old core switch. My plan is to put the SNMP and TACACS configs on the new core and at this point ensure it is monitored and that tacacs works.

How best can I do this, I have never done it before but been told I can do it. 

Any help will be appreciated.

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Strictly speaking OOB management does not run over the same infrastructure as your data network ie. you have different physical switches that connect to management interfaces on your production switches

That doesn't sound like what you are trying to do so I'm not sure what the main issue is.

If you simply want to use SNMP and TACACS on your new switch then it depends on whether your new core is now routing.

If it is then you can either use the management SVI on the new switch or use a loopback.

Not sure I am fully understanding the issue ?

Jon

Thanks Jon

I managed to get a solution. I have my new core switch and still in the process of configuring and testing it. So instead of having to go to the Comms room to get access to it, I wanted access to it from any PC in the office so that I can configure it from a desk.

I connected the management port on my new switch to the existing core switch. On the existing core configured it as an access port in the management vlan.

On the new core I configured an ip on the management interface, then just pointed a vrf route to the management gateway on my old core....ip route vrf management 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.20.1

That's given me access to my new core from a desk in the office

My plan is next to add the snmp and tacacs configs and point the server adresses to the management vrf which I believe is done by adding the vrf statement in the snmp/tacacs server ip command

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card