Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO SF300 and SG300

johnpauld
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco,

I'm trying to setup a small network and I'm new here.

Objective : To setup SG300-20 as CORE switch and SF100-48 as Distribution switch

SG300-20 will have 2 VLAN(DATA and VOICE)

192.168.14.1/24 DATA

172.168.0.1/24 VOICE

SF100-48 will also have 2 VLAN(DATA and VOICE)

192.168.14.1/24 Desktop/Laptops

172.168.0.1/24 IP phones

Problem is when I tried to assign IP to any VLAN's the switch will just hang and loose my connection the light will stop blinking it will steady and i unable to access the switch until i turn off again?

1 Reply 1

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi John, it sounds like 1 of 2 issues.

First, if you are trying to assign your second vlan an IP address while in layer 2 mode, that IP becomes the switch IP but most likely you do not have any ports associated to vlan 2

or

If you set the switches in to layer 3 mode then attempted to assign the additional VLANs an IP address.  By default, vlan 1 is 192.168.1.254 but also has a dhcp command to obtain an IP address from your DHCP server.

Even if you do not connect the switches to an existing network, this implementation still remains true. This means, your vlan 1, default vlan CANNOT be able to accept a DHCP address. If you assign your vlan 2 an IP address, this vlan 2 becomes the management vlan, but there are no ports assigned to vlan 2, therefore you lose access to the switch.

The reason a reboot resolves the issue is because you did not save the running config to the start up config (so the switch is defaulted upon reboot)

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card