Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SF350-08 10/100 Question

Navy_Dave
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,Switching, Other Switching

Just a quick question -  have just bought the above L3 switch, just as a dummy plug and play lab for my house while i study, and I am confused about something. And i accept that this is a very noob question and expect the suitable backlash...

I find a lot of the commands I have used on other devices (Catalyst etc, even things on Packet Tracer) simply arent available on this device. Examples would be, the algorithm-type scrypt or even service password-encryption?

Granted i only plugged it in this morning, and was just tapping around a bit and it needs a firmware update but my question is, are these commands / options just not supported on this IoS? Is this normal? Do some Cisco IoS just not support certain things? This is the first "small scale" switch I have ever looked at in the flesh. Even the sh version command only offers very limited output.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dave,

In general, the SF, SG, etc. series switches are designed for small businesses where you simply plug and play your devices, and also use GUI to manage them. They don't even run the same IOS as the Catalyst switches and they support limited L3 functions. On the other hand, the catalyst switches are designed for enterprise networks with a lot more features and functionalities. If you want to use a switch or 2 to study, I recommend getting a couple of 3750x or 3850s or 3650s from eBay. Just make sure the IOS is pretty new so, you don't have to upgrade them as that requires a service contract.

As for the service password-encryption I found this but not sure if your hardware and software support it.

Configure Enable Password Settings

When you configure a new enable password, it is automatically encrypted and saved to the running configuration file. No matter how the password was entered, it will appear in the running configuration file with the keyword encrypted together with the encrypted password.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/cisco-small-business-300-series-managed-switches/smb5563-configure-password-settings-on-a-switch-through-the-command.html

HTH

Hi Reza,

Thank you very much for this, extremely helpful information there.

Thanks for your help

Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card