Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SFP compatibility

Syed Farhan Ali
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Members,

Recently EoL for GLC-T has been announced and its replacement is GLC-TE.

A customer has purchased WS-C2960X-48FPD-L Switch and we have given them the new transceivers GLC-TE.

As per the GE Transceiver support compatibility matrix (on the following link), it shows that mentioned above switch supports both GLC-T and GLC-TE.

Cisco GE Compatibility Matrix

• Customer needs to know if they connect GLC-T with GLC-TE (Copper Uplink), will it work?
  • Customer needs to know if they connect GLC-T with GLC-TE (Copper Uplink on CAT 6 Cable), will it work?

Can anyone please respond to these queries?

Regards,

Farhan.

2 Replies 2

blue phoenix
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Are you asking if this particular switch WS-C2960X-48FPD-L with a GLC-TE sfp will work if connected to another switch with a GLC-T sfp module?

In my honest opinion, I think it would work since GLC-T is only end of life and would be replaced by GLC-TE.  Usually when Cisco replaces it's SFP, is to add support on new technology while still supporting the old.

Can you not test the 2 SFP's on 2 switches not in prod?  (spare switches perhaps?)

Let me know if it works or not!

Cheers,

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
  • Customer needs to know if they connect GLC-T with GLC-TE (Copper Uplink), will it work?
  • Customer needs to know if they connect GLC-T with GLC-TE (Copper Uplink on CAT 6 Cable), will it work?

Both are a 1000base-T so there is no reason they should not be fully backward compatible , same standard

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card