Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SG300 one IP per VLAN

fabienfs
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a switch Cisco SG300 (in L2 mode, in last firmware version) with 3 VLANS.

I defined an IP address on my VLAN 41 for switch management (Web gui acces, ssh, ...).

My problem is that I can't seem to set an IP on my other two VLANs. For example, if I enter to the configuration of my VLAN 42, that I define an IP address, automatically the switch wants to use this IP address for management and deactivates the IP of my VLAN 40.

sw2(config-if)#ip address 10.60.40.6 255.255.255.0
Please ensure that the port through which the device is managed has the proper
settings and is a member of the new management interface.
Would you like to apply this new configuration? (Y/N)[N] 

How can I define an IP address per VLAN?

For example, to be able to access the switch from several different VLANs (without routing!)

Thanks for your help

Best regards,

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have more Layer 3 VLAN, you need to enable Layer 3 mode and configure per vlan different IP range not overlap address.

have you upgraded the firmware and is this new switch ?

here is layer 3 model

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/cisco-small-business-300-series-managed-switches/smb5073-switching-to-layer-3-mode-on-the-sf-sg-300-series-switches.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Not familiar with the SG300 but usually if a switch is layer-2 only, you can only have one IP (for management) on the switch. When you apply a second IP, it will replace the other one. To access the switch, you only need one management IP and as long as the switch has a default gateway, you can access it from other VLANs as well.

HTH

Hello,

In fact, if I need to define an IP in VLAN 42 it is for the following reason: it is a VLAN on which there is multicast. And the support of the device that generates multicast traffic told me this: "Queriers are specific to Vlans (each vlan could have a different switch being the querier) and since the Queriers use the lowest IP, you necessarily need to have a Vlan IP assigned."

They say so I need to set an IP address on the VLAN interface for my multicast to work properly. But the management of the switch must continue to be done via VLAN 41.
The IP that I would put on the VLAN 42 interface is not used to manage the switch.

How can I solve this problem?

Ok, So, I am a little confused. In your first post, you said this:

I have a switch Cisco SG300 (in L2 mode, in last firmware version) with 3 VLANS.

If you are planning to assign 3 vlans to the switch using 3 different IP segments then you need to turn the switch to a layer-2/3 switch and follow what BB posted to enable layer-3 routing. If a different device is doing the layer-3 routing between all 3 vlans then you only need one IP for management on the switch. Can you clarify?

HTH

I don't want my switch to do any routing. I have a router for this.
My problem is: my switch has an IP address in a VLAN for management.

Another VLAN is use for multicast traffic. For multicast traffic to work properly, I am told that this VLAN must have an IP address for querrier. In the screenshot below we see that the IP for the Querrier is 10.60.41.6. Who is the management IP of my switch in VLAN 41. The Querrier's IP must not be an IP present in VLAN 40?

Capture d’écran 2020-12-03 à 15.13.08.png

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco