Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SG300x Stacking Questions

Hi All

I have a couple question regarding the Cisco SG300x switches and stacking. I am new to Cisco in general so doing plenty of planning. I want to stack 2 SG300x switches and have full redundancy in case of failure:

1. Because there are only 2 switches, Will this mean there will be a Master and the second switch will be a backup (and not slave)?
  2. Reading the master selection process for these switches it looks like it differs slightly from the Catalyst switches. There does not appear to be a stack member priority setting. So I am thinking of Forcing the Master. Then also setting the Unit ID for both switches (master unit being lower). Will this work and is it recommended in my scenario? Or is there in fact a priority setting I am missing?
  3. For the foreseeable future, there will only likely be 2 switches. In terms of stack connectivity/topology, I plan to link switch1 XG3/S1 to switch2 XG3/S1 and link switch1 XG4/S2 to switch2 XG4/S2. Will the stack use the S1 connection and have S2 as a backup in case of cable/port failure? If I expand the stack later on, I can switch to a proper ring topology?
  4. In terms of setting up the stack, I saw this demo. If I power them on in the correct order and then force the master, Is that all I really need to do to get a native stack up and running?
  5. Can these switches do across stack etherchannels? I plan to connect vSphere hosts (Active/Active connections on separate host NICs) for redundancy. 
  6. What should I be doing with STP in a stack?

Many thanks!

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card