Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SM-2GE-SFP-CU throughput

Comtrackllc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

while SM-2GE-SFP-CU  has two Gigabit port , i can';t see more than 160Mbps downstream throughput from one of the ports , and in data sheet it said throughput of the SM module is 100Mbps bidirecttional , if this is true why it has two Gigabit port? what is different to HWIC-2FE and generally why ports are not FE if throughput is 100Mbps? any idea?

my customer expect 1Gbps performance and saying SM module i provied them is faulty!

Regards,
Hilal

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i can't see more than 160Mbps downstream throughput from one of the ports

How can you push 160 Mbps of traffic down 100 Mbps pipe?  You can't, right?  Is there an ethernet standard for 160 Mbps?  None, right?  So what's the next logical speed higher than 100 Mbps and 1 Gbps other than 1 Gbps?   Answer:  1 Gbps.

So no, it's not a fault.  It's not a bug.  It's not a "marketing trick".  That's the technical truth.

as i forwarded my colleague discussion, i guess he mean aggreate throughut of two ports on the SM card , or maybe 40Mbps send and 100 Mbps receive , not possible?

in the meantime, main question is this: customer must not expect 1Gbps throughput on Gigabit ports of this card? ports are Gigabit. SFP is 1Gbps and ok, link is up to 1Gbps , but throughput is not 1gbps , ignore 160mbps  - say 100Mbps  , i want to say it seems while port is technically GE , its throughput is FE correct? or something is wrong with the configuration or a hardware problem that we can't get near 1Gbps?

i want to say it seems while port is technically GE , its throughput is FE correct?

Errrr ... No.  160 Mbps has left the realm of "FastEthernet".  

customer must not expect 1Gbps throughput on Gigabit ports of this card?

Correct.  And here is the logic:  If this line card is supposed-to support 1 Gbps, what kind of CPU power of the router is it suppose to have?  I mean, think about it, what will stop any multi-million/multi-billion dollar company from purchasing a 1941 router + SM-2GE-SFP-CU and transfer 1 Gbps worth of traffic.  

Cisco's stance is this:  If you want to push 1 Gbps worth of traffic, then get a router that is rated for 1 Gbps traffic (per chassis or per port).  

thank you Leo, i got my answer

but router that SM module is on that, is 3925 with SPE100 , customer can get real 1Gbps from backplane GE ports of the router , while on SM module throughput is much lower

what i want to know personally is this, you told throughput may depend on router that module is installed on that., does it mean if SM module installs on a 3945 with higher engine capacity we can get more throughput from SM card too? or SM board structure is designed for total 100M traffic? in Data sheet of the SM i saw this text,. that throughput is 100M bidi traffic , if this is the case then even if we put the card on a higher router in term of capacity, again we can't pass more traffic

thank you again

Regards,

Hilal

does it mean if SM module installs on a 3945 with higher engine capacity we can get more throughput from SM card too

Go HERE.   According to this document, a plain 3925 is rated for 426.49 Mbps.  This value means the ENTIRE CHASSIS is rated for that speed and not a per-port.  

So this means, even a SM-2GE-SFP-CU installed, the router can only do 426.49 Mbps and nothing more.  

If the client wants a router capable of >1 Gbps transfer rate, a 3925 won't cut it.  There is just not enough CPU power to process to do the job.  Cisco ISR 4400 (Data Sheet) is designed for >1 Gbps (per chassis or per port) traffic.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card