Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Switch 3650 Smart Licensing

CSCO12094806
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Recently we have installed C3650 Switch (Model: WS-C3650-24TD, IOS: 16.9.3a).

We have activated smart licensing as per the following steps (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/16-9/configuration_guide/sys_mgmt/b_169_sys_mgmt_3650_cg/configuring_smart_licensing.html)

1. Login into the cisco smart software licensing portal (https://software.cisco.com/#).

2. Cisco Software Central--> Inventory-->Virtual Account--> create the token

3. enter the command on the switch, license smart register idtoken <token number as per step 2> 

After sometime switch showing Status as Registered /Authorized (Refer attachment No: 1).

Also, Show license summary showing as the next renewal attempt is 14 March 2020. 

Show license status showing as Communication deadline:15 December 2019.

My Queries are:

01. what it means next renewal attempt and communication deadline.

02. we have purchased switch with IP Base license with 3-year smartnet support. In the new smart licensing method is there any expiry for IP Base license feature (Advanced Qos, ACL, basic static routing, RIP)?

we know earlier IOS (<15.9) when purchasing switch with IP Base license, the license features (Advanced Qos, ACL, basic static routing, RIP) are available for life long there is no expiration time for the license /Feature, we need to renew only smartnet support (to cover hardware warranty, new ios access and technical support assistance).

Thanks

2 Replies 2

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

My Queries are:

01. what it means next renewal attempt and communication deadline.

This means that the switch needs to communicate with the Cisco portal to "Register" itself to the portal and get the licenses you are entitled to for that switch. 

Here are some helpful links:

02. we have purchased switch with IP Base license with 3-year smartnet support. In the new smart licensing method is there any expiry for IP Base license feature (Advanced Qos, ACL, basic static routing, RIP)?

I would double check with your reseller on that because some licenses are different.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response. But sorry to say that the provided details are not enough to clarify my query.

regarding point no 2: we have purchased switch with IP Base license with 3-year smartnet support. In the new smart licensing method is there any expiry for IP Base license feature (Advanced Qos, ACL, basic static routing, RIP)?
is it a perpetual license or subscription-based. 

Anyway, we will try to check the same with our reseller.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: