Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Switch 4500 - Questions regarding Config

ITexpert
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Guys,

I have Cisco 4500 chassis switches, which is at default config and all the ports are in vlan1 (default) and Vlan 1 is configured with IP address.  

The Trunk ports are SFP ports which is labelled Gigabitethernet1/3 and gigabitethernet1/5.

nothing is configured for these interfaces (like switch-port mode trunk, switch-port encapsulation dot1q)

Switches are working.

My questions:

1. why ports are not listed in command: sh interfaces trunk

2. How to configure trunk ports for SFP ports?

3.  There are different privilege levels 0 -15, what does these level means, how they make diff ? (I see some times we use 0, 7 , 15-  how these numbers make difference)

Thanks 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Q1: Is it good idea to setup all the switches as a layer 3 or only Core switches with L3. ?

Ans: It is highly recommended to have an only core or distribute switches in L3 mode (if you don't have any plan to use fully routing infrastructure). 

Trunk port configuration:

interface gig 1/0/3

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 41,10,12,9

switchport trunk native vlan <if nay>

no shut

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Q 1. why ports are not listed in command: sh interfaces trunk?

Ans: If there is no configuration then all ports will be L2 mode and without negotiation works as access mode. So that ports were not shown in the command output.

Q: 2. How to configure trunk ports for SFP ports?

Ans: you can configure same as an ethernet port. If there is dual port then you have chosen the media to type with a command "media type rj45" or "sfp"

Q There are different privilege levels 0 -15, what does these level means, how they make diff ? (I see some times we use 0, 7 , 15-  how these numbers make difference)

Ans: How much privilege has been given to a user. there are total 16 levels. But level 0 and 15 are reserved (preconfigured) in the Cisco devices. If you want to give the different rights to users, first must configure the level privilege commands. 

Regards,

Deepak Kumar 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Hello Deepak,

Thanks for explaining.

Couple more questions:

1.  I have two core switches 6504E and each 4506 switch is connected with two SFP ports each goes to one core switch . Can you please further elaborate how to configure Trunk ports? It would be great if you mention commands.

2.  I want to use 6504E as redundant switches. My plan is that, I will Connect each 4506 switch with just one SFP port to First core switch. And then i will configure the First Hop redundancy Protocol (HSRP or VRRP). 

Please advice I never work on SFP ports.

Thanks

One more Confusion  I have is that :

Is it good idea to setup all the switches as a layer 3 or only Core switches with L3. ?

Usually in my previous organisation , I just setup core switch as a Layer 3 and configure SVI and static routing and then all access layer switches as L2.

Please explain me which is best option to do.

Hi,

Q1: Is it good idea to setup all the switches as a layer 3 or only Core switches with L3. ?

Ans: It is highly recommended to have an only core or distribute switches in L3 mode (if you don't have any plan to use fully routing infrastructure). 

Trunk port configuration:

interface gig 1/0/3

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 41,10,12,9

switchport trunk native vlan <if nay>

no shut

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: