cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco switch to Ruckus connection inquiry

pinoybot
Level 1
Level 1

Hello network gurus! If anyone is familiar with the ruckus switch, I'd greatly appreciate any response! 

My current cisco switch is connected to a ruckus switch and currently working fine. But, I'm wondering if it's the proper setup:

WS-C3750X

Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s, link type is auto, media type is 1000BaseSX SFP
input flow-control is off, output flow-control is unsupported

Ruckus 

Configured speed 1Gbit, actual 1Gbit, configured duplex fdx, actual fdx
Member of 12 L2 VLANs, port is dual mode in Vlan 1, port state is FORWARDING

I feel like the cisco 'link type is auto' could have been configured in a more proper way?

Any thoughts? Thank you! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ramblin Tech
Spotlight
Spotlight

"I feel like the cisco 'link type is auto' could have been configured in a more proper way?"

On Cisco products, you typically want to leave links configured in an "auto" state, as hard coding parameters can disable negotiation (depending on the Cisco product) with the remote link partner, which can lead to capability mismatches. I have no idea if configuring the Ruckus device for "duplex fdx" disables duplex negotiation, but maybe not: if it had disabled auto-negotiation and not responded to the Catalyst switch, then the Cat may not have ended up in an up/up operational state.

Disclaimer: I am long in CSCO

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ramblin Tech
Spotlight
Spotlight

"I feel like the cisco 'link type is auto' could have been configured in a more proper way?"

On Cisco products, you typically want to leave links configured in an "auto" state, as hard coding parameters can disable negotiation (depending on the Cisco product) with the remote link partner, which can lead to capability mismatches. I have no idea if configuring the Ruckus device for "duplex fdx" disables duplex negotiation, but maybe not: if it had disabled auto-negotiation and not responded to the Catalyst switch, then the Cat may not have ended up in an up/up operational state.

Disclaimer: I am long in CSCO

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

"link type is auto" This is because the switch's interface most likely is configured with "negotiation auto". If you remove it with "no negotiation auto" it should force the interface to be "force-up" instead of auto. Auto is the default on Cisco equipment.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card