cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Switch Upgrade

win2kseries1
Level 1
Level 1

Company is moving to a different building and we need to make a decision as far as our switches/routers that this maybe a good time to replace or upgrade them, what we have now:

CISCO 3945 - WAN Router

CISCO 4506 - Core switch

CISCO 3560 - Distribution switch

CISCO 2960 - Access switch

If anyone can give me some suggestions on what to get to replace them especially 2960 switch, I'll appreciate it.

-Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

per to this information you have to have the same features to be available from the new Hardware even though you will get many more feature from the new hardware.

if you looking for hardware upgrade you can do as a follows:

Destribution Layer:

Cisco C4500X (in case you have a fiber connection between DES & Access); you can make all ports SFPs

Cisco 3850 (10G uplink & electrical connection with Access Layer)

Access Layer:

Cisco 3650 WS (support 10G&1G uplinks with all 1G access ports)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hardi Ahmed
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

1st of all it is better to share the IOS version of your device, meanwhile you can check for the latest version or the more powerful  IOS from the below attached link.

http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/selectIOSVersion.x

I belive you needs to replace all Des & access switches for the Des-SWs you can use C4500X or C3850, & for the Access switches you can use 3650.

Thanks Hardi. Not really looking to upgrade the IOS version yet, just the hardware. But it may be necessary for the new hardware. Here's the IOS version:

CISCO 2960 - "lanbasek9-mz.150-1.se2"

CISCO 3560 - "ipbasek9-mz.150.se2"

Hi,

per to this information you have to have the same features to be available from the new Hardware even though you will get many more feature from the new hardware.

if you looking for hardware upgrade you can do as a follows:

Destribution Layer:

Cisco C4500X (in case you have a fiber connection between DES & Access); you can make all ports SFPs

Cisco 3850 (10G uplink & electrical connection with Access Layer)

Access Layer:

Cisco 3650 WS (support 10G&1G uplinks with all 1G access ports)

Thanks!

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I can easily recommend (well assuming I know what your network requirements are) the latest of any Catalyst, but it would help if you would clarify what exact model(s) of the 3560 and 2960 you have now.  Also for the 4506, what chassis variant, what sup and line cards.  There's quite a spread in all those, from pretty old to almost current.

If you're upgrading, perhaps an important issue is device redundancy.  Do you need or desire that?

Your 3945 is pretty current, so the big question is how much bandwidth does it need to support.  (This is the non-"E" model?)

[edit]

Do you now or plan L3 for your L3 capable switches?  Do you want L3 at the edge?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card