Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco switch with Hirschman switch

Shani444
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

i have cisco i5000 working as L3 intervlan routing at core layer and on distribution layer i have Hirschman switches. The problem is that, on distribution hirschman switches running  MRP with access switches and RSTP with I5000. So i am receiving port flapping on cisco switch and and only vlan 1 selecting root as hirschman, rest of vlan still selecting cisco

as root. although cisco RSTP priority is default.

6 Replies 6

Hello,

are you running RSTP on the devices in the MRP ring as well ? If not, is that an option in your topology ? Check the requirements for such a setup in the link below:

https://hirschmann-support.belden.com/en/kb/articles/what-are-the-requirements-for-rstp-over-mrp-to-work-correctly

yes my edge switches connected with cisco switches running MRP.

1  HM switch 1  port 1 & 10 connected with MRP and port 6 is connected with cisco switch. this switch performing as a Ring manager for HM switches.

2 HM switch2 port 1 & 10 are in MRP connected back to back with HM switches. and port 6 is connected with cisco switch.

Here is my test topology.

Hello

@Shani444 wrote:

Hi Friends,

i have cisco i5000 working as L3 intervlan routing at core layer and on distribution layer i have Hirschman switches. The problem is that, on distribution hirschman switches running  MRP with access switches and RSTP with I5000. So i am receiving port flapping on cisco switch and and only vlan 1 selecting root as hirschman, rest of vlan still selecting cisco

as root. although cisco RSTP priority is default.

Cisco rstp and IEEE rstp should be compatible however i guess you cannot rule out stp incompatibility with Cisco and the Hirscham switches

Is this a new setup or a issue that has just appeared?

Are you setting the stp root to be the Cisco or Hirscham?
What does the logging report regards these port flaps?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Dear Paul,
This is new setup and my root is HM, according to HM they said their switch should Root otherwise it will not work with both MRP & RSTP. so HM is root.
1 I am receiving port flapping.
2 convergence time is after 6 ping drops, that should be without dropping or at least 1 drop.
3 lets say i have one end device connected on my cisco core switch and there are multiple vlans on it, like interface vlan. my management vlan is 100 and access vlan 200. so when i do ping any ip within the same subnet its dropping only 1 but when i ping through 100 to 200 vlan then facing 6 drops.
4 on cisco switch show spanning tree shows that only default vlan 1 selecting root as HM switch and rest of vlans selecting cisco as root.

hope you understand
Thanks
Shani

Hi Paul,

Sorry for late reply. i have tried to solve this issue but couldn't solve yet. Now in my topology i have two layer 3 switches I5000 HSRP running on these switches and MRP configured on hirschman switches in the ring. as showing in the attached diagram connectivity. problem is when i do plug RSTP cable between Core 1 and Core 2 it start port flapping.

please let me know what i can do with that.

Regards

Shani

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco