Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Switch WS-C3850-12S and WS-C3850-48T Firmware/Software Upgrade

Tang-Suan Tan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, 

I want to upgrade WS-3850-12S and WS-C3850-48T firmware from version 03.0.6.08E and 03.07.05E respectively  to higher version. From the serial number checker, it appaers the higher version of Fuji 16.9.2 (highest) then Everest 16.6.5, Denali 16.3.8 and 3.6.9E.

May I know what is the proper process to upgrade this version 03.x.x to 16.x.x?

Can I directly upgrade from 03.x.x directly to the highest version 16.9.2 in one shot or what is the proper procedure?

Hope to hear from you all as soon as possible. Thanks in advance! 

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Tang-Suan Tan ,

In this link you will find the procedure to update from several IOS:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-9/release_notes/ol-16-9-3850.html#id_67613

I hope you find it useful.

Remember to mark the correct answers as solved, since that helps other users with similar doubts

Regards

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Read this:  Upgrading from Cisco IOS XE Release 3.x.xE in Install Mode

IMPORTANT:  Don't forget to read the Release Notes. 

Also note that going to 16.X.X will require a micro-code upgrade so there is a chance the upgrade will take 15 minutes.

The command will apply to all switches in a stack.

6 Replies 6

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Tang-Suan Tan ,

In this link you will find the procedure to update from several IOS:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-9/release_notes/ol-16-9-3850.html#id_67613

I hope you find it useful.

Remember to mark the correct answers as solved, since that helps other users with similar doubts

Regards

Hi Luis/Leo,

Thanks to your reply.

I got the way to upgrade from 3.x.x to 16.x.x.

One question here, if the switch is a stack switch with multiple switches, I find below command:

software install file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.06.05.SPA.bin new force

However, this is apply for only one switch. Is there any way to enter command only on the master switch so that it can upgrade all the switches in the stack one shot? If not, then I have to apply the above command one by one in the separate swicth.

Thanks!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Read this:  Upgrading from Cisco IOS XE Release 3.x.xE in Install Mode

IMPORTANT:  Don't forget to read the Release Notes. 

Also note that going to 16.X.X will require a micro-code upgrade so there is a chance the upgrade will take 15 minutes.

Hi all,

After read the list after the command, I realize that it applies to all the switches in a stack. As such, it will upgrade all the switches in the stack im one shot.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!

The command will apply to all switches in a stack.

Hi Leo, 

Yes, the command running on all the switches in the stack. Today morning when I ran the command and it confirmed that all the switches in the stack are upgrdaed successfully.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card