Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VSS-4500X PBR

alessandro.s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi community,

i'm trying to configure PBR on a pair of 4500X in VSS software version is 3.6.0 E with ipbase license and the first thing i checked was if the feature was supported based for this platform/version/license. From release notes  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_32142-01.html#pgfId-2768661 seems that PBR for base license is supported form 3.6.1 E but cisco feature navigator displays PBR also in version 3.6.0E so this is not very clear to me.

I decided to configure PBR using the "set ip next-hop" clause but the traffic was not Policy routed, i then changed the clause to "set interface" and then the traffic was Policy routed. So seems that ACL configuration is correct and PBR is correctly applied to the correct interface, because the policy is matched when i use "set interface" instead of "set ip next-hop" so i'm wondering why is not working properly with set ip next-hop, i'm sure that next-hop is reachable. 

I don't know if is relevant but there's a default route yet learned via OSPF, can this route override the policy based route? as i know this happens just using the "set ip default next-hop" command and not the "set ip next-hop".

So, if "set ip next-hop" does not work, is there any problem using "set interface" instead ?

With "set interface" can i use a mechanism to use the OSPF learned route as backup?

Thankyou in advance,

1 Reply 1

alessandro.s
Level 1
Level 1

just an update,

PBR works properly only if i use both "set ip nest-hop" and "set interface" clauses toghether

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card