cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VSS - STP - Port Channel

Yannick Vranckx
Level 2
Level 2

I have a design question about the cisco VSS technology between 2 cisco 6807's.

Say i have the following design:

design

I connect every access switch with 4 physical links to each switch in the VSS design. So i can make 2 port channels to the cores. But since STP will not intervene on a port-channel i wonder: Am i not making a bridge loop here? Is there another way to work this out?

The uplinks would be 10gig.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

davy.timmermans
Level 4
Level 4

in your design - at each access layer switch - one portchannel will be STP blocking.

Logically the two VSS switches are seen/managed as 1 logically switch. It's a best practice/valid/possible to combine the 4 links into 1 portchannel instead of two.

Let me know if you've further questions

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

davy.timmermans
Level 4
Level 4

in your design - at each access layer switch - one portchannel will be STP blocking.

Logically the two VSS switches are seen/managed as 1 logically switch. It's a best practice/valid/possible to combine the 4 links into 1 portchannel instead of two.

Let me know if you've further questions

Ok that's what i thought and needed confirmation on, thanks for that.

I can also just make a port channel to 1 device, because the interfaces on switch will be in that VSS logical switch indeed.

Thanks

Correct,

Once in VSS there's only 1 device to manage.

I suggest also to have a look at the VSS design guide:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/VSS30dg/campusVSS_DG/VSS-dg_ch1.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: