Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO WLC2100 resetting time everytime it took reload

Hwarraich
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

We have a WLC 2106. Everytime this WLC reloads due to whatever reason then the time of this is always ressting it to about it to something else than the current time. We nothing in NTP settings before that we used to have NTP server configured in this WLC but status was same.

Not sure why this is happening and how to correct it permanently? Any suggestion? I am happy to provide more information on this.

19 Replies 19

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what is the version running.

show time  post output.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji - Thanks for your response. Please find below:-

1. Version = 4.2.130.0

2. Show time output:-

(Cisco Controller) >show time

Time............................................. Mon Sep 17 18:51:42 2018

Timezone delta................................... -5:0

NTP Servers
NTP Polling Interval......................... 86400

Index NTP Server
------- --------------------------------
(Cisco Controller) >

you need to configured NTP configuration and save configuration. make sure it sync the time across network is same.

once the configuration saved, you can reload and power off and test is the config retain same, as you see config loosing all the time power loss.

BB

Hi Balaji - We had NTP configured before and it was our CISCO switch on different location. We always saved the configuration after correcting the time but status was same that every time it took reload it looses the time and set it to about 1 decade ago.
I am going to create NTP now in this WLC and will save the configuration. Whenever I did this is the past I did that via GUI it says "successful".
I have a question - How I can make sure that syn time is same across the network? It it mean that I need to check the time on WLC and and NTP server and make sure they are identical or something else?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
This is the reason why Cisco recommends configuring NTP.

Hi Leo - But I was having same issue when NTP was configured. So, it doesn't seem to be due to NTP.

If NTP is configured, then how come the output to the command "sh time" shows no NTP synchronized?

Another thing, what is the NTP server?  Is it a MS Windows based system?

Hi Leo - As I mentioned in my question that we have that configured before and we removed few weeks ago. We have the same problem even when NTP was configured. No, NTP was not windows based system - it was our core switch on different location. Any issues with that configuration? 

When you mention different location, Do you have reachability for that NTP all the time,  Why not setup one for Local site - do you have any limitation. so that you can monitor the NTP debug enable, why you loosing the NTP sync.

This is suggestion to test.

BB

@Hwarraich wrote:

No, NTP was not windows based system - it was our core switch on different location. Any issues with that configuration? 

Is your core switch synchroized, in some way, to a trusted NTP server?

Hi Leo - I am not sure. But need your help to verify this. below is the output from my core switch:-

sh ntp status
Clock is unsynchronized, stratum 16, no reference clock
nominal freq is 250.0000 Hz, actual freq is 250.0000 Hz, precision is 2**10
ntp uptime is 3091553700 (1/100 of seconds), resolution is 4000
reference time is 00000000.00000000 (19:00:00.000 EST Thu Dec 31 1899)
clock offset is 0.0000 msec, root delay is 0.00 msec
root dispersion is 463732.88 msec, peer dispersion is 0.00 msec
loopfilter state is 'NSET' (Never set), drift is 0.000000000 s/s
system poll interval is 8, never updated.

sh ntp config
ntp server x.x.x.x

sh ntp information
Ntp Software Name : Cisco-ntpv4
Ntp Software Version : Cisco-ntpv4-1.0
Ntp Software Vendor : CISCO
Ntp System Type : Cisco IOS / P5040

Clock is unsynchronized, stratum 16, no reference clock

is this your core switch, what is X.X.X.X ?

here is my NTP reference : 

ntp server 0.uk.pool.ntp.org

my NTP output for your reference.

DHCP-CA-DNS#show ntp status
Clock is synchronized, stratum 3, reference is 145.239.118.233
nominal freq is 250.0000 Hz, actual freq is 249.9132 Hz, precision is 2**10
ntp uptime is 267587800 (1/100 of seconds), resolution is 4016
reference time is DF4D14A3.AE978F30 (19:32:03.682 GMT Wed Sep 19 2018)
clock offset is 52.5760 msec, root delay is 32.75 msec
root dispersion is 139.06 msec, peer dispersion is 69.68 msec
loopfilter state is 'CTRL' (Normal Controlled Loop), drift is 0.000347060 s/s
system poll interval is 64, last update was 34 sec ago.

BB

Yes this is my core switch and X.X.X.X is actualy an ip address starts with 64.X.X.X.
So, it means the clock on not synchronized with any trusted NTP source. But my question still remains same as why my WLC is resetting time and not other WLC is having the same issue in the network. Others are different models like 4400 etc though.

@Hwarraich wrote:

Clock is unsynchronized, stratum 16

1.  Stratum number = the high the the number, the "less trustworthy" the source is.  Stratum 16 is the highest and this equates to "not trusted". 

2.  The output you've posted means the core switch is not even synchronized to anything. 

If you look at the output to the command "sh clock", you'll see the time starts with a "." and this means that the time and date is not to be trusted.  

SO going back to the WLC2100, this means that any APs won't join the controller because the time and date of the controller isn't accurate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco