Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO1941 for load balancing

reycapoy
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day.

I would like to verify if  CISCO1941 can be used for load balancing using two ISP's.  What additional feature licenses are needed to attain this?

Thank you.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

yammie.vicera
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, yes you can, You'll be needing the DATAk9 License in order to use some of routers features like. IPSLA etc. etc. you can use the 8 weeks evaluation period, but after the evaluation period expires you need to purchased the license... HTH

View solution in original post

SEC license is for security ios firewall, ips, ipsec, ssl vpn etc.

DATA-K9 License is for mpls, ip sla, bgp and other traditional protocol

You dont need the SEC/K9 if you only neeed is load balance/failover

will your ISP providing you a serial or ethernet?

1941 have a 2 gig port, 2 serial and 1 fast, you can configure both ISP in gig port and do the IP SLA, Track and load balance per packet config but you need to have DATA-K9 license in order to do this configuration.

Going back to your question, what if the ISP will give serial what  modules do we need?  If ethernet then the two Gig ports of the CISCO1941  will suffice?

if the ISP will give you a serial, You need to have: "WAN Interface Card - HWIC Serial 2T and a v.35 cable. and specify it in your order. and if the ISP will give you an ethernet no need to have additional modules.

your welcome hope i have answered some of your queries

9 Replies 9

yammie.vicera
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, yes you can, You'll be needing the DATAk9 License in order to use some of routers features like. IPSLA etc. etc. you can use the 8 weeks evaluation period, but after the evaluation period expires you need to purchased the license... HTH

Hi Yammie,

Will CISCO1941/K9 be enough or we need to use CISCO1941-SEC/K9?  I also noticed that CISCO1941-SEC/K9 has a bundled CAB-SS-V35MT smart serial cable.  Taking into consideration that the client will user two ISP, what types of modules or perhaps WAN modules do we need to add in order to do the load balancing?

Thank you.

SEC license is for security ios firewall, ips, ipsec, ssl vpn etc.

DATA-K9 License is for mpls, ip sla, bgp and other traditional protocol

You dont need the SEC/K9 if you only neeed is load balance/failover

will your ISP providing you a serial or ethernet?

1941 have a 2 gig port, 2 serial and 1 fast, you can configure both ISP in gig port and do the IP SLA, Track and load balance per packet config but you need to have DATA-K9 license in order to do this configuration.

Hi Yammie,

With regards to your question on either serial or ethernet?,we still have no idea since the reseller doesn't know as well. But the reseller gave us a DLink DFL800 and wants to know for a Cisco counterpart.

Going back to your question, what if the ISP will give serial what modules do we need?  If ethernet then the two Gig ports of the CISCO1941 will suffice?

Thanks.

Going back to your question, what if the ISP will give serial what  modules do we need?  If ethernet then the two Gig ports of the CISCO1941  will suffice?

if the ISP will give you a serial, You need to have: "WAN Interface Card - HWIC Serial 2T and a v.35 cable. and specify it in your order. and if the ISP will give you an ethernet no need to have additional modules.

Hi Yammie,

Thank you so much for all the assistance. By the way we have look into DFL800 and it seems that SA500 series will also suffice.  I think we can take it from here.

Thank you and best regards.

your welcome hope i have answered some of your queries

With Cisco 1941, I have two links from ISP, you have said one goes to GE0 and another to GE1, what of LAN connectivity which port do i use?

Hello,

you need an additional card such as the one below to have LAN connectivity if both onboard ports are used for uplink redundancy:

https://www.it-market.com/en/cisco-systems/cisco-interface-cards/cisco-ehwic/cisco-systems-ehwic-1ge-sfp-cu2?gclid=Cj0KCQjwzozsBRCNARIsAEM9kBNyF7Sb87PrGgl6ZEBZrp5zfDXUAIOGwZ7grRfuxjViQf7b0eunSn8aAopkEALw_wcB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco