Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco2851 IOS package change from ipvoice to enterprise base

Alex Hwang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm planing to do IOS upgrade of a CIsco2851 router (256MB DRAM/64MB flash) currently using c2800nm-ipvoicek9-mz.124-24.T2.bin.

I was going to upgrade to c2800nm-ipvoicek9-mz.151-4.M8.bin but CIsco software download web says this requires minimum 512MB DRAM.

To meet 256 MBDRAM/64MB flash requirements,  Is it possible to upgrade IOS to enterprise base (c2800nm-entbasek9-mz.151-4.M8.bin) instead? Actually voice funcitionality no longer required on this router. Just wondering if there is any issue (i.e. license, compatibality..) with that.

2 Replies 2

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

If you no longer need the voice functions, there's no technical issue with switching versions... but there is a licensing problem. The 2800 series routers don't actually check their licensing for IOS, so you can go ahead and install the new image, but you'll want to get in touch with your Cisco rep to find out what kind of licensing you need to purchase in order to switch over.

What kind of functionality do you actually need on that router? For most, using Advanced Security or Advanced IP Services is a far less costly route than the Advanced Enterprise license.

Hi Jeong,

As Jody mentioned there would be changes to your licensing options and this would limit the features and functionality of the router. for more information please send me an email at fguasque@cisco.com so we can try to discern what type of license you will need with your new setup.

Thanks,

Ferdinand Guasque

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card